We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

Can anyone advise whether there is any gas station near Williams Street near Hertz rental car place? I plan to drive from port stephens and return the car to Hertz rental office which is the cross of Williams st and Riley st.

I need to fill up the gas before returning the car. Or should I find a station before going into the town? I am driving from Port Stephens

Thanks,

Joyer

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

Fill up before you reach the city (maybe around Wyong if on the Freeway) - I cannot even think of a petrol station in the CBD actually. By the way we either call them petrol or service stations (so if asking use this terminolgy) - major brands are Mobil, BP, Caltex, Ampol and Shell.

There are BP and a Mobil stations on the Pacific Hwy in Artarmon (closer to Sydney). Perhaps someone else can advice if there is anything else on the route before you hit the CBD itself.

Otherwise Hertz should be able to advice.

Edited: 01 September 2010, 08:44
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

I use the one on Cowper Wharf Road, Wooloomooloo (opposite Harry's Cafe de Wheels). You can then go up through Macleay Street, turn right into William Street & you're on the correct side for Hertz.

Alternatively, if you're coming from the Eastern suburbs, there is one in Rushcutters Bay (Bayswater Road) on the left hand side heading West (correct side for Hertz).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

Alternately - Coming into the city from Port Stephens you should take the Lane Cove Tunnel, Gore Hill Freeway and theHarbour Tunnel to arrive at William Street. As such your last Petrol Station will be the Caltex at 41-43 Epping Rd North Ryde. To arrive here you will have travelled down the F3 joining the Pacific Hwy at Wahroonga. Turn right at Ryde Road Pymble before turning left onto Epping Road at Ryde.

http://www.whereis.com/

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

good advice. lets hope that ringroad d3 is not doing its usual nasty blocked up traffic at the time that the driver arrives. caltex at North Ryde is awesome with plenty of room and big driveways.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

u will have to be careful where u fill up.

any tank deficit ( from refuelling too far away eg. north ryde ) could incur a penalty if u have agreed to return with a full tank. depends how fussy they are. i have been asked to provide my fuel docket on occasions so they can see how far away i have filled up.

wooloomolloo sounds a safer bet..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

That's why I use it, lien - straight through the tunnel, left to W'loo, fill up & easy access back to either side of William Street.

If I were a visitor, I might be tempted to have a farewell pie at Harry's.

Most rental companies require a full tank & charge a hefty premium on the going rate/litre for any they replace.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think the shell @ cowper wharf Road is a good option and easy reach on my way.

In the US I always fill up the gas and travel 45min to san Francisco intl airport with gas tank indication still reasonably full. hertz never check my gas bill. This is however my first time to rent a car in Sydney so I'd better take your advise and fill the gas as close to the return place as possible.

Edited: 01 September 2010, 15:50
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

Ditto with the servo down on Cowper Wharf Rd,making sure that your tank is full to the brim.I used to work for Hertz many years ago,and when we checked in vehicles,more times than not,we would look at the gauge and if it was above the red line,we would say it was full,but if not we would fill it up at a premium of $1.00/litre(this was 1994/95)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

... and it feels like 1994/5 since fuel was $1.00/litre, BRG ! Hate to think what the rental firms would charge now.

BTW - did you have the same price for all models, irrespective of the octane grade they required?

As a guide for visitors - expect to pay between $60 & $80 per tank, depending on octane/ tank size (most common is 60 litres) and the whim of the petrol cartels from week to week. Oh yes, that's right - we don't have collusion in fuel pricing, do we?

Silly me!

10. Re: Any nearby gas station near Williams St for rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 05:16