We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Australia?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Australia?

I seem to get conflicting information about whether tips are expected in restaurants in Australia? What about in hotels (baggage delivery, room service?). What about at an island resort where meals are all inclusive? Would that be any different than from in Sydney? In Canada, we usually tip 15% on our restaurant bills for good service.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Australia?

You are not required to tip in Australia. It is the exception, not the rule. We pay our staff a livable wage in Australia unlike North America where Hotels and other service businesses expect the customer to pay the wages of their staff. Cab drivers actually get out of the cab and load and unload your bags without any "hand out" for a tip.

In Australia, if staff in the service industry do not perform to the requirements of the establishment they are working for, they are soon looking for another job. The customer comes first, without the tips.

I have travelled to many countries around the world and I hate the idea of paying the wages of someone who is employed by a hotel /restaurant etc. who use the excuse that they can supply a better and cheaper service to their clients (so long as the clients are prepared to pay for it)

We do not want tipping as a norm in Australia but if you feel you have had exceptional service, and I mean exceptional, then you may give a reward if you feel so inclined. Restaurants where a "tip" section is shown on the bill are being hopeful and it is not required to put an amount in this area.

As you can see, this is a bit of a "bug" with me and there are already too many countries around the world who have adopted the "Customer will pay my staff" attitude so do not encourage it any further in Australia.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Australia?

KLT that is a real bug with you, isn't it but I agree with you 100%. You won't see any compulsory tipping here Rockport and as KLT mentions, if you do, it is only being hopeful or some young ones imitating what they see on tv.

In saying that, we will leave a tip at a restaurant or eating venue if we get service that we consider over and beyond the norm. Doesn't have to be much but it is just a thankyou for taking care of us. All of Australia is the same, at least everywhere I have been.

Not sure where your conflicting info comes from...??

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Australia?

I bought "Fodors" travel guide book which mentions tipping up to 10%, $1 per bag if delivered to your hotel room. I had a friend who lived in Canberra for 2 years who told me it is not required. I will take your advice and not worry about it unless we get exceptional service. Your points are well taken. Thanks for the insight.

Canberra
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Australia?

hi,

i have been working in hospitality, in australia both in canberra and brisbane. we don't get pay enough for what we do and yes, we are forever thankful for thos wonderful customers who tip us.

i have friends who are hairdressers and beauticians, they told me the same thing. so i would say if we give u great survice pls tip us but if we give u terrible service u should not tip us but tell the managers instead.

am i being fair here or not?

cheers,

the ex-waitress

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Australia?

I would usually tip a waiter unless the service was poor, but normally only 5-10%.

Not usually in a taxi unless especially helpful. Sometimes with bags if there were quite a few.

I would never tip a waiter at an all inclusive resort. It would be terribly awkward to produce money where its not otherwise required.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in Australia?

Hi!

We tipped a lot in Australia.... doesn't matter where you are in the world... I think "tipping makes the world go around". That's that.

We tried NOT tipping, and the "faces" we got.... not very pleasant. When we DID tip, the next time we saw the person, better service, better attitude, they would go out their way to help us..... So, tipping might not be a "standard" in Australia.... but it definitely changes those faces of those in the service industry.

We tipped $ 5 for porters, $1-2 round up in taxis, and 10-15% for every restaurant we were in.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,385 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in Australia?

No wonder you found Aus expensive. The tip is built into the price.......In Oz we pay liveable wages to all..

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in Australia?

I don't know anyone who would tip a percentage of the bill. At most i would leave $5 if the service has been good; otherwise nothing. Taxis etc i would just say keep the change or round to an even amount.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in Australia?

Australia is a very special place regarding "Tipping" then.

I guess living in Canada and Asia.... I couldn't get past myself NOT leaving or giving a tip. No, I didn't calculate the tips in my claims about Australia being expensive to travel in. Just in general, places and cafes we went to.... in general "entrees" (we call them appetizers).... and "main courses".... run in general from $ 9-$12 AUD for appetizers, and then $ 18-20 AUD for main courses.... with drinks, and GST... etc.... it adds up.

We didn't tip when we first arrive..... you should have seen the faces we got..... I hate to say it too... is it because we are minority? Cuz there were MANY occasions during this trip, we felt VERY "minority"......

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,385 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in Australia?

Kate,

On the Gold Coast it seems many of us are made to feel like a Minority. I don't know whether you experienced many backpackers working in the places you visited with regards to tipping. I have found that it tends to be this group that expects a tip...possibly a background culture thing, but they don't necessarily provide better service. It is also beginning to creep in to some places in Sydney.

I feel over the january period because there is so much tourist trade many places operate on the "I don't care if you don't come back principle". There's always someone else to fill the space. If they're casual employees it's often a case of I'll get work somewhere else. (NOT all casual employees ad backpackers are like this so please don't take offense anyone...there is a wonderful, hardworking pleasant group out there who deserve every tip they get..and they are the ones I'll leave a few dollars for.

As an aside i was talking to a waiter who told me their restaurant policy was to split ALL tips between ALL staff, including kitchen hands etc. Some of the less industrious among the wait staff felt it didn't matter whether they gave good service or not..they didn't get the full benefit so why bother. A sad attitude..