We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney in the rain

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sydney in the rain

I'm visiting a friend in Sydney and would love to get out and explore the city...but it's a bit of a downer when it's raining! Any suggestions for things to do in Sydney when the weather is less than desirable? Thanks!

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney in the rain

When travelling, the ideal is always fine weather...but sometimes it just doesn't happen!

Obviously, wet weather days are best spent indoors...so think of museums, art galleries, shopping (especially in some of the larger centres, like perhaps around Darling Harbour/Paddy's Markets; you could also visit places like the aquarium there), cinemas (Imax??), perhaps taking day tours (those who run them do expect some to be run in inclement weather, so have some fallback plans), maybe taking longer train or ferry trips (e.g. ferry to Manly if it's not pouring with rain), the chance to have lunch at a good cafe or restaurant, Opera House tours, lunchtime or matinee recitals (the Conservatorium have these regularly, the Opera House has them occasionally).

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney in the rain

i find the rain entirely desirable especially after many years of drought.

plenty of museums, art galleries, shopping within the cbd.

have u looked at the hyde park barracks?

the museum of sydney? both give u an overview of the history of white australia and the development of the city.

an opera house tour?

powerhouse?

a pub crawl around the rocks?

plenty to do imo.

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney in the rain

Thanks for the great suggestions! I think we're going to stroll over to the barracks and maybe stop at a pub on the way back. :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney in the rain

how about a trip to the art gallery of NSW and lunch at the Gallery restaurant looking down over Wooloomoolo bay?

..and this will probably sound completely insane, and indeed we thought we must be crazy as we got ready at the time, but how about going kayaking in Manly? We did this in the rain last July and it was brilliant. NOONE else was crazy enough to be on the water and we were able to paddle around the little bays on our own. Water temp is still about 20C I was reading in the paper thismorning, so getting wet is not unpleasant. Maybe just ring Manly kayaks and check they have a locker or something for you to keep a change of dry clothes...

You could also consider catching a matinee performance of one of the local theatre companies.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney in the rain

One of the things I've always enjoyed is going on the Manly ferry when the weather is bad. hey, it might sound crazy to most, especially those who suffer sea sickness, but if you don't it's quite a ride as you go past the heads.

Oscar

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,528 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney in the rain

Well there's always shopping, shopping and more shopping !!

Or perhaps some time at a spa, some room service and a cup of hot chocolate after a day of museums, galleries etc, just what you need to warm up on a rainy day!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,189 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney in the rain

I too love going on the ferries when the weather is bad and the harbour is choppy ! Its great!

And my favourite bad weather outing would have to be the ferry to Watsons Bay then a stroll up to The Gap - spectacular!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney in the rain

If you've not visited the Queen Victoria building I would recommend a stroll around there..

The Rocks discovery museum (free) may interest you & also the Museum of Sydney..

timeoutsydney.com.au/venue/museum/the-rocks-…

www.hht.net.au/museums/museum_of_sydney

I agree with PP the Gap/Watsons Bay ferry trip is quite wild in the rain!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney in the rain

Im with oscarpepples and perfectlyperth on this one....wait till the weather turns a bit and catch a ferry to Manly...wow what a ride better than anything the Gold Coast can dig up...lol.

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney in the rain

Took your suggestion about going to Manly and kayaking in the rain...totally insane but SO FUN! The kayak rental place thought we were out of our minds, but hooked us up with rain gear nonetheless. Great suggestions, way to think outside the box!