We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

Hey all,

As you may or may not know, i'm coming to Australia at the end of Dec. Originally i was coming by myself and planning to stay with friends in Coffs Harbour over the NYE, but now one of my friends has mentioned an interest in visiting Oz (i've talked it up so much to her!), so i am thinking it would be nice to spend the NYE period in Sydney then go to Coffs afterwards. I've been looking around at the accomodation that is left, and the Medina Classic on Martin Place looks suitable and is a decent rate, so i was just wondering, how long would it take roughly to walk back on NYE if we go to Circular Quay to celebrate?

Cheers!

central coast nsw
Level Contributor
522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

Hi,

Shouldnt take you more than 10 minutes under normal conditions. Given NYE there will be more foot traffic as roads are closed near the Quay you might want to add an extra few minutes onto this.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

ideal spot...not so noisy that you'll get tha ll night revellers and an easy but slightly uphill walk..

George St is a bit easier in that regard IMHO

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

Great hotel in a great location.Basically everything in the city is within an easy 10-15 minute walk.Circular Quay would take about that time,but NYE maybe a little longer.One point though for NYE that the hotel is close to terminus area for buses,so will be many people milling around waiting and catching buses after festivities,so maybe walk up George or Pitt St,then left to hotel.

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

Hi

Thanks for your responses! I've made a cancelable reservation there. $1845 for 6 nights, and that was one of the cheaper ones within walkable distance from Circular Quay. The cost of NYE, huh?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

Martin Place is a perfect location for a tourist. It's about 10 - 15 walk to any of Sydney's main attractions. You are literally in the center of Sydney!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,472 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

It's not a bad price for a stay over NYE Diva - you should seen the prices hotels were charging for the 1999 NYE !!

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

Doug - I don't even want to think what the prices were like over the Millenium NYE! Once i convert the cost into UK sterling it isn't too bad, well around £865, but between two, it's doable!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,472 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

Now if the situation was reversed and we could get those prices in the centre of London for a good hotel .... LOL

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

London is meant to be cheaper now because everywhere is dropping their prices because of the recession, i don't think it's that cheap though!

10. Re: Martin Place - walkable from Circular Quay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2009, 05:01