We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Sydney with a 1 year old baby

Seattle
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 days in Sydney with a 1 year old baby

Hello friends at tripadvisor.com

My wife and I are planning our trip to Australia this Christmas, and we'll be there in December this year for 5 days. Our son will turn 1 year old on December 20.

We are looking for ideas and recommendations that would help us have a great time while there. After the 5 days in Sydney, we will travel to Perth to visit friends, so we have that part covered.

Having the baby will be a new experience for us, but at the same time, we want it to be a great one. I know there are a lot of you who might have done this trip with a baby, so I am counting on your help.

Thanks so much

Ben

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Sydney with a 1 year old baby

Take a good quality folding pram, or buy one there. Make sure it doesn't tip over backwards when loaded up with shopping (like ours did). Be prepared for hot weather and strong sunshine.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Sydney with a 1 year old baby

for the 5 days here, opt for an apartment stay rather than a hotel. in an apartment there is more room and you also have kitchen and laundry facilities which are useful with a baby.

there are many apartments for holiday letting in the sydney area. check out the hyde park inn, meriton world tower, meriton pitt street, meriton kent, breakfree on george sydney. use the www.wotif.com site as a research tool....there are links to many accommodation sites from this one site and their maps are pretty good too.

note that december is a very busy time anywhere in the world. in sydney, the school holidays start just before xmas and with the xmas-new year week, this is peak holiday time!! book your accommodation asap or your choices will decrease and your prices increase.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Sydney with a 1 year old baby

Another option to a pram/pusher is a baby carry back pack. Leaves your hands free and easier to get on/off transport.

Can do lots of walking in and near the city around the Quay area.

Ferry rides or harbour cruises are relaxing. One post was happy about the harbour bridge walk, but not the sky walk.

Enjoy the beaches, there are lots of them in and out of the harbour.

Carry water, nibbles and baby emergency things in another backpack. Hats and sun block is essential.

Austin
Level Contributor
910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Sydney with a 1 year old baby

Advice:

1. STAY CENTRAL. Will need to pop into the hotel/apt. for a nap or just some down time for the parents. (We stayed in the Rocks.)

2. Sydney is great for kids. Our four year-old LOVED it. Assume your son is too young for Luna Park, but I'd still recommend for the ferry ride and looking at all the funny faces, etc. So much else to see, too.

3. $20 umbrella stroller at Babies R Us (even though I detest the place!) has been our travel warrior. Folds up the best, even compared to the high-end models (which we borrowed for our test).

4. Front and/or backpacks are a great idea. We relied on ours when our daughter was smaller. If your child is small enough, do the frontpack. We found it to be easier to manouver than the backpack, although the latter was better for serious hikes.

5. I am going to disagree a little about the apartments. I like to stay in hotels with the young 'un since hotels have breakfasts and housekeeping. If you can find an apartment that has these two important attributes, great. If not, I'd rather have breakfast ready for me in the morning.

We've been travelling with our now five year-old since she was one. Hubby does 1-3 international trips for business every year (and we were lucky enough to have a business trip to Australia last December).

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,641 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Sydney with a 1 year old baby

We did Sydney with a 6-month old and you've gotten some great advice. We used a stroller and a baby backpack, but the baby backpack was the more useful.

We stayed in an apartment and I would recommend it over a hotel. Our serviced apartment had housekeeping service, so that wasn't a problem and it was much easier to have breakfast in our apartment than going to a restaurant/breakfast room with a baby. But the biggest reason to get an apartment is so that you can put the baby in its crib to sleep in one room while you and your wife can watch TV in the other room and not disturb the baby's sleep. I have had to stay in hotels with babies, but I MUCH prefer having the separate spaces that you find in an apartment. And, of course, you've got a refrigerator to keep milk, etc. for the baby chilled.

Finally, you shouldn't have to limit yourself sightseeing much with a 1-year-old. We walked all over Sydney (Circular Quay, the Rocks, Darling Harbour, the Botanical Gardens); took the ferry to Taronga Park zoo; took the train to the Blue Mountains or a day trip (and rode the funicular, which was an adventure!); etc. Likely your only limitation will be the heat.

Have a great time!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in Sydney with a 1 year old baby

True coming that time of year with a 1yo.....be prepared for hot sticky weather(but then again it could rain to)A stirdy but light weight pram is a good idea,as you can carry light weight items in it,and as a must plenty or water,and a snack etc.Sydney transport is becoming more friendly to prams etc(as long as they arent to big ot travel in peak hour)

Places to see with the bub.....diffently the zoo and Featherdale Wildlife park.Try Darling Harbour and a ferry trip to Manly for a paddle in the water and sand(make sure you cover the bub up though)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,210 posts
1,445 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in Sydney with a 1 year old baby

Great advice given.....just to add a few more suggestions.

1. Apartments in Sydney are terrific so I also agree with staying in one rather than a small hotel room.

2. Stay close to transport, so its easy to get back to your hotel/apartment if you need to.

3. It will be hot in December so take plenty of water/hats/sunscreen etc..and I would try and travel/ sightsee in the mornings.

4. As mentioned before the Zoo/ Luna Park/ Ferry rides/ Darling Harbour/ Manly Beach are all fun thing to do with a family.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-s401/Sydney:A…

8. Re: 5 days in Sydney with a 1 year old baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 16:22