We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

create a pub crawl for me

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Topic
create a pub crawl for me

staying at the four season in sydney from saturday, june 2nd until the following Wednesday. We are from NYC and want to enjoy a day of crawling. any recommendations?

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
412 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: create a pub crawl for me

The rocks is generally where people go to pub crawl or at least thats where you start. There are a couple a good places on George st (in the rocks) and a couple more around the corner where the street bends. The fancy looking bar under the bride is a fun place. Three wise monkeys is the only bar name other than Agin Court that I can remeber right now. Evryone goes to 3 monkeys, a 3 level bar, fun but sometimes too crowded. I spent way too much time a Agin Court, but that was becuase it was next door to UTS, where I was going to school.

I don't know what the bar scene is like in NY, never been there. But in Sydney you have to dress nice or at least decent to get, especially if you are male. I'm used to dressing very relaxed to go to pubs in SF. If you are wearing tennis shoes of any kind you could easily be turned away.

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: create a pub crawl for me

here we go....better stick to middies cause this is a pretty long crawl...samples a wide range of sydney pubs...and involves quite a lot of walking......

walk from the four seasons down george st to the fortune of war for a heart starter.

walk to ferry wharf 4 and catch a ferry to mcmahons point.walk up Blues Point road to the Blues Point hotel...one of the few old fashioned sydney pubs left.Back a horse at the pub tab.

continue up blues point road to the commodore hotel....now trendy for the young suits of north sydney.

keep on going north to the Greenwood hotel...check out the hawkesbury sandstone

back down the hill to the kirribilli ex servicemen's club...you have to sample one registered club...see the curse of the poker machine.

under the bridge to the Kirribilli hotel

walk over the bridge..go up the south east pylon.

come off the bridge....walk west to the real rocks via the tunnel....go to the Palisade,lord nelson , Hero of Waterloo and the Harbour View hotel.

walk back under the bridge and up cumberland..do the rooftop bar at the Glenmore.

walk down the hill to the quay...have your most expensive beer at one of the tourist traps around the quay...say the oyster bar.

then to the ship inn ...where frederik met mary.

and a last drink at Jacksons on george before you stagger across the street and home.

Remember always look right when u are a pedestrian here.

Sydney NSW Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: create a pub crawl for me

All of the above ,plus the 3 monkeys, on george, Criterion, on Park. There is a pub/bar on almost every street corner in Australia,most of them are pretty friendly>No open shoes after 6 pm in most, because people have sued the management over broken glass.Have fun!!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: create a pub crawl for me

WOW, this is a topic that needs a short brochure rather than a short post. As an aside... why don't we have one of these in Sydney. I go to Wellington NZ regularly (FANTASTIC foodie city BTW) and they have a very good pub crawl brochure.

It is quite a few years since I worked in the CBD, but we did do pub crawls every so often. I'm assuming you want mainly to walk between the pubs.

Pubs you should (at least) fit in relatively close to the Four Seasons are:

Hero of Waterloo - Rocks (a genuine old Aussie Local)

Lord Nelson - Rocks (brews own beer... 2 rounds here)

Mercantile - Rocks (lively, Irish flavour)

Oriental Hotel - Rocks (possibly.... not my favourite)

Cruise Bar - West Circular Quay (lively - modern)

Hotel CBD - York St (stylish)

Forbes Hotel - CBD (big, lively, nice building)

Marble Bar - Sydney Hilton (visit it... just trust me)

Angel Hotel - Pitt St (a quick one... )

The Bar - Sir Stamford Circular Quay ( if you're still behaving nicely then it is just like an English country house)

Opera Bar - Opera House (really loud and live music every evening)

Soup Plus - George St if you like Jazz

The Basement - Circular Quay (another great Jazz club)

The Slip Inn - Sussex St & Market (meet a princess ?)

There are many others...

Now these aren't where the "beautiful people" go (perhaps apart from the Hotel CBD). Stylish bars that are worth going to but aren't really pub crawl locations are:

Posh Bar - above Cruise Bar

Aqua Luna Bar - East Circular Quay

Establishment - George St (I'm faaaar to ugly for this place)

Others will probably recommend bars around Paddo which would be good too, but you won't be able to stumble home.

Also, you could try the usual Irish bars, but there're the same the world over. Very welcoming and decent beer, but hardly Sydney. All of the recommendations above are VERY Sydney.