We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive times please and itinerary advice

Which New South Wales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
533 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Drive times please and itinerary advice

Hi - I have tried but not too successful at getting drive times and itinerary info on websites.

We arrive in Sydney at around 9pm (staying at Novotel Brighton, thanks to TA) and the next day head out to Blue Mountains and then stay two nights at Wentworth Falls (how long to drive?). None of which I might add I have any clue about in terms of location, but seems to be a nice place to stay!

Then we have to drive from there to Canberra to pick up our son from AIS, visit Floriade and stay overnight (accommodation recommendations welcome) before driving back to Sydney, staying overnight and flying out at 7am to New Zealand!

If anyone has any advice about driving times i.e. Sydney to Blue Mountains and Wentworth Falls; then from there to Canberra including any highlights to stop along the way? Much appreciated

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive times please and itinerary advice

Brighton le sands-Wemtworth falls 2 hours off peak.

Wentworth falls - Canberra i would take a day to go blue mountains-bathurst-cowra-yass- canberra.

Have lunch in cowra...visit the japanese gardens and ex prison camp.

I hope you are not staying in brighton on a friday or saturday night.

Perth
Level Contributor
533 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive times please and itinerary advice

Thanks - staying there on a Sunday night and then a Thursday night - is that going to be okay? I guess you mentioned it because of nightlife around there - any other suggestions for accommodation - 4-5 star and reasonably close to airport?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive times please and itinerary advice

You also might us www.travelmate.com.au

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive times please and itinerary advice

You'll be right at Brighton...might remind you of those evenings on the agean........

Perth
Level Contributor
533 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive times please and itinerary advice

What are you talking about? Not making much sense...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive times please and itinerary advice

The area around brighton has Sydney's greek population and the boys love their cars...hoon hooon, toot toot until the early hours on weekends. It got so bad at one stage they played Barry Manilow over loudpspeakers to stop the boys from hanging around the carparks.

I too would do the inland route to Canberra.

What level of accom are you looking for in Canberra..it tends to be a bit pricey..but LOL the last 2 times we stayed we got the best rates at the Hyatt!

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive times please and itinerary advice

Agean sea...part of the mediterranean....greek isles...on a good evening with a little imagination ...and a couple of ouzos.....a nice fish meal....the women in black...

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive times please and itinerary advice

and I'm a third supporting the inland route as suggested by Jacko.

wentworth falls - bathurst approx 1 1/2 hrs 105 kms

bathurst - cowra approx 1 hr 20 105 kms

cowra - yass approx 2 hrs (you go through Boorowa

yass - canberra approx 1 hr

Plenty of good stuff to choose from along that route a google aus search on each of these destinations should bring them up no worries.

BTW Wentworth Falls is in the lower part of the Mountains. You head west and uphill to get to Katoomba/Leura and Blackheath and of course on to Jenolan if that takes your fancy.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive times please and itinerary advice

.. not that you'll be short of things to see along the way but have a look at www.millthorpe.com.au Millthorpe is a lovely little place..

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive times please and itinerary advice

If for some reason you are keen to go the coastal route to canberra...

..wenthworth falls to canberra - fastest route is given by NRMA as just over 4 hrs and I'd reckon that's about right...

There are also scenic variations you can add. They break up into neat sections. Wentworth Falls to Camden via the Old Northern Road which dates from the earliest days of the colony, or via Silverdale Road which travels more or less along the river. Takes a couple of hours or a bit less and is quite a nice drive.

Camden to Sthn Highlands - You can go down via the little Wollondilly villages, but probably better to run down the Hume Hwy for a bit and get off again at Colo Vale/Yerrinbool and run down the Old South Road to Bowral. You could even duck across to Robertson and check out the lookouts a bit of the way along Jamberoo Mountain Road, maybe even the Illawarra Fly which recently opened. Then back to the Hwy via Exeter. Burn along nice and quick to Goulburn, then get off and go run down the tourist drive via Tarago to Braidwood and back in to Canberra .. you miss lake george that way, but it's dry at the moment anyhow, and if you decide to drive up to the Airport in Sydney you'll pass it then. If you're running short on time at any stage you can just cut back to the highway and skip further detours.

If you do choose the inland route, at Bathurst may I recommend driving Mt Panorama - even if you're not really into motor sport. It's pretty challenging and gives a new appreciation for the Bathurst 1000 race.. I remember when they used to run that race with just a few hay bales and tyre stacks around the edge.. at least now they've got concrete barriers - still pretty awesome just the same.