We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What hotel in Canberra?

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
What hotel in Canberra?

We will be driving down from Sydney for a visit mid Dec for a couple of nights. Having looked at various hotels to stay none have jumped out at us to make a decision. We would prefer somewhere fairly easy to reach by car and also close to Parliament House etc. Have you any recommendations, and also would it be best to leave the car at the hotel and use public transport for getting around whilst there?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What hotel in Canberra?

I'd take the car, but have a look at a map to get an idea of routes in advance, Canberra's roundabouts are notorious. Public transport is notoriouser though :-)

Hotels and apartments in the city centre and in the Kingston/Manuka area are about the same distance from the major attractions, or there's also the Hyatt, not quite as close to any shopping/dining areas but very close to many attractions and it has an interesting history.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What hotel in Canberra?

Alot will depend on your budget. Some hotels that are close to Parliament house are:

The Hyatt - V expensive but probably the best in Canberra

Forrest Hotel and Apartments - reasonably priced 3 1/2 star

Brassey - Old Style reasonably priced

Rydges Capital Hill - average hotel but not up to Rydges usual Standards.

Hotel Kurrajong - also the base of the Australian hotel school. standards vary - the hotel school part of the hotel is only 2 star standard but cheap. The rest is probably 3 1/2 star.

Check the reviews.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What hotel in Canberra?

Hi,i guess it all depends on your budget etc,but i have stayed at a hotel in South Canberra called the "Diplomat",just off the main road heading from Parliament house towards Queabeyan,so its about 5 minutes drive.Cant fore the life of me remember the costs there.But i was in Canberra about 2 weeks ago,and stayed in Queanbeyan at a place called "Hamiltons Townhouse Motel",just off Canberra Ave on your right as you enter Queanbeyan,Pleasant hotel and reasonably priced(well i was charged $100 for the night..ill try and put a pic up)

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What hotel in Canberra?

We recently stayed at the Pavilion and were quite satisfied. It has free parking, which is a "plus". It's also on Northbourne Av, so is easy to find coming from Sydney. There are lots of places to eat in nearby Dickson (about 10-15 mins walk), but ask for directions - the restaurant precinct is a couple of blocks off to the side of Northbourne Av (such is life in a "planned" city!).

However, I suspect that if you stayed a little further out, you might not have to pay as much, and if you've got a car, the extra distance won't be a hassle. Certainly use your car to get to the sights. Most if not all of them have free parking. Driving is fine, so long as you you know where you're going - get a map (presumably available at the tourist info office on Northbourne Av, just near the Pavilion).

-- G

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What hotel in Canberra?

Hyatt currently has a $199per room BnB package until end of Jan. free parking and you can walk to many attractions. If not many $$ dif then this is my choice.

Diplomt rooms can be hit and miss and be a bit noisy if you end up with a "roundabout room", some are great and some are tired (we've stayed there a few times...gotta love a pillow menu)

, undercover parking is a bonus in the heat

We've also stayed at hamiltons Townhouse and found it pretty good...

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What hotel in Canberra?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Will look into all the suggestions and go from there....

7. Re: What hotel in Canberra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2010, 06:17