We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uluru

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
96 reviews
Uluru

We are planning a second visit to Australia and I would be interested to hear from anyone the fors and against of visiting Uluru! (I'm not fussed but my husband is!!) Last time we went to Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns and did the Barrier Reef etc. This time we plan to visit Perth, possibly Adelaide and another visit to Sydney as we loved it so much. We will have about 3 weeks possibly a month, so any suggestions would be most welcome. Places we should visit/not miss!! This will be the last time we go....so we mustn't miss any 'must sees'

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,054 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Uluru

Having visited the Red Center twice, I think Uluru is a place you visit if you really, really have an interest in the geology, culture, etc. of the area. It's very expensive to get there and to stay there and there is little to see/do that doesn't involve Uluru or Kata Tjuta. Also, the time of year has a big impact on your visit. The summer months (Dec - Feb) are beastly hot meaning that all your sightseeing has to be done early in the day or at sunset. And the flies will be out in full force. (The flies are out at other times of the year too.)

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
96 reviews
2. Re: Uluru

Thankyou - I will bear that in mind!! We would be travelling in Jan/ February so may avoid it!!'

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,915 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Uluru

I've been twice both times when it was very hot. First time the flies were really bad, not so much the second trip.

I'm not sure I'd go back a third time, but it is such a unique place and I absolutely have no regrets on going. It's not cheap getting there but I loved the geology and landscapes as well as its cultural significance. Really enjoyed exploring further afield in the Western MacDonells and Alice Springs too. It's so unique and I think everyone should try to visit if theynare able to and have an interest in it.

As for where else to consider, what about Tasmania?

Edited: 04 October 2016, 19:39
St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
96 reviews
4. Re: Uluru

Thankyou - I appreciate your response. Tasmania is a strong possibility

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,892 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Uluru

If your husband really wants to go & you don't - why not split up for that excursion & you do something that does interest you & meet him at your next destination?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,274 posts
2,066 reviews
6. Re: Uluru

As suggested why not split your time up between the 2 destinations. I'm a huge fan of Uluru as its so unique & so Australian. I'm also a big fan of the West MacDonnell Ranges... gorgeous landscape.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-…

northernterritory.com/alice-springs-and-surr…

https:/…West.Macdonnell.Ranges.html

Yulara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
383 reviews
7. Re: Uluru

Your only real drama with Uluru is the time of year that you are going is not ideal at all. If you went you would need to factor in at least 3 nights at the very least to enjoy the full area and all it has. The tough decisions are yours but I personally would only recommend going there in the Australian winter or from March through to September.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
68 reviews
8. Re: Uluru

For your time in WA consider some time in the south of the state- Margaret River region plus Walpole/Denmark/Albany.

You would need to allocate a week- a few days around Perth/ Fremantle then 5 days for that southern loop.

See if this appeals-

https://www.margaretriver.com

http://www.rainbowcoast.com.au

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
122 reviews
9. Re: Uluru

As an Australian Living in Sydney I would not travel to the Northern Territory in December January. Just unpleasantly hot and possibly cyclone season. Australias most destructive cyclone hit on Boxing Day in Darwin.

Perth is lovely at that time of year and the pick is Fremantle. Then I would hire a car and drive south for a week to Albany. Near Perth is Wave Rock and Rottnest island which is a wonderful day trip from Perth.

Edited: 08 October 2016, 11:00
St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
96 reviews
10. Re: Uluru

Thankyou - I think that's what we have decided. We both really want to visit Perth and I'm sure there will be plenty in the area to keep us happy. Thankyou for your response