We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Expensive Is Australia Today?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How Expensive Is Australia Today?

My family were first-time visitors Australia five years ago, and had the most wonderful time. Ever since, we've been longing to return, but have been put off for various reasons.

With the falling exchange rate of the U.S. dollar versus the Aussie dollar, I am wondering just how expensive Australia is today? I understand that US$1 bought AUS$1.40 back then and the exchange rate is closer to US$1.05: AUS$1 today, but am not sure if what changes, if any, are in the prices as well.

Please inform me.

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Expensive Is Australia Today?

Hi

It will cost you more for just about everything sorry!

Where are you thinking of coming to, what type of interests do you have?

There are many ways of saving money travelling in Australia, this thread from the FAQ's has lots of great tips tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k3254…

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Expensive Is Australia Today?

we have had a pretty low rate of inflation over 5 years so ausdol prices have probably increased at the same rate as those in the usa. however my experience has been living and travelling in both countries that $ for $ costs were about equal when the $a1 equalled around $us0.80.

so at $us1.05 u will obviously see a pretty big difference.

this will show up particularly in accommodation, eating out (altho there is no need to tip), car rental and petrol (gas) costs, all of which affect the tourist.

and of course there are the smaller head shakers. try the coke test. a can of coke bought at a gas station or a take out will cost u around $a3.00

cheaper in a supermarket (but not cold).

a slab of beer (24 cans) around $a40.

sitting down now, are we? LOL

Edited: 14 May 2011, 23:03
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Expensive Is Australia Today?

It's as expensive as our first trip was to the US years ago when our dollar was at an all time low!

LTB

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Expensive Is Australia Today?

Thank you everyone. This gives me a better idea than what I knew this morning.

I had wanted to go to Sydney for a few days and then a couple of other off-the-beaten-path places. With the costs, I guess I will put it off for just a tad bit longer.

I have to say though, you folks live in an absolutely amazing country. I had a great time there and will again someday...

England
Level Contributor
109 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Expensive Is Australia Today?

Hi SL-Chicargo

I am from the UK and our pound is about as weak as your dollar!

We spent a month in sun soaked Australia during February and March 2009 and found it to be very reasonably priced due to the exchange rate we received which was circa $2.40AD to the British pound.. We enjoyed Australia so much that we went back for another month during February and March this year. Unfortunately the exchange rate was closer to $1.50AD to the British pound and so we certainly noticed a massive difference.

Sydney is a fabulous city but it is very very expensive. Even last minute hotel deals are expensive. We stayed at the Meriton on Kent Street which is already getting a bit tired and they will try and charge you up to $800AD per night for a two bed apartment! Last minute deals are usually available but pay no more than $300AD per night. Restaurants are also very expensive.

Eating out in general throughout Australia can be very expensive with main courses averaging $30AD to $40AD in restaurants of a reasonable standard. Wine is also very expensive and at $40AD to $50AD a bottle it is quite often disappointing. That's not to say the wine is rubbish. It is simply average for a high price. BYOB is offered by some restaurants in Australia and a reasonable bottle of wine will cost $25AD from a wine store.Food quality and portion sizes in the vast majority of restaurants that we visited could not be faulted. We hardly ever bothered with a starter as the mains are usually very substantial. We would also quite often share a desert between the three of us because we were so full !! Mind you at $10AD to $15AD for a desert it was a good way of keeping the price of eating out down to a reasonable level.

We love Australia and the people but it will be a while before we return. It is now very expensive and we had rubbish weather. Their weather patterns are changing like the rest of the world and if I want rubbish weather I can stay at home in good old rain soaked England. We weren't just unlucky, Australia has just had one of it's worst summers for many years. Tasmania was positively cold!

Edited: 16 May 2011, 10:25
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Expensive Is Australia Today?

Thanks Exactly. Your post gets to the heart of what I am looking for. With prices being so high, I will put it off for this year, but I am sure I will be back again as soon as I am available, as I am sure you will be too.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,779 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Expensive Is Australia Today?

Or you could come now before the prices get higher...

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,040 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Expensive Is Australia Today?

I agree that Sydney is an expensive city - but it's easy to cut down the costs. Most visitors want to stay in the CBD, Darling Harbor or the Rocks area. This is a city of 4.5 million people, most of who don't live in these areas because of the cost. If you find a place to stay which is out of the central area you will find much cheaper accommodation. I have had a quick look at wotif and if you search in Sydney rather than Sydney CBD there are lots of options under $200 a night which are easily accessible to the central part of Sydney by public transport. There are many places you can get a good quality meal for under $30 for a main course but again, they may not be in the center of Sydney and they won't have views of the Opera House. There is always option of picnicking in a park for lunch. Taking a trip on a ferry rather than doing a harbor cruise, walking across the Bridge as opposed to doing a Bridge Climb, using public transport rather than cabs, having breakfast in a cafe (or making your own) rather than a hotel restaurant.

It's not as cheap as it used to be for overseas visitors but it can still be done on a budget without much sacrifice.

England
Level Contributor
109 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Expensive Is Australia Today?

thmoore How right you were! Eight months on and the exchange rate has dropped to an almost unheard of $1.40AUS to the British Pound! This must be having an affect on your tourist trade.It really is a b.ugger as you guys would say because we would love to come back but at the moment the prices are just too high.

How has your summer weather in Sydney been? Was it better than last year?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Expensive Is Australia Today?

Summer here has been mild,humid and wet,very wet.

It amazes me that when people from around the world say that they love to come to Oz for a holiday,but for reasons such as;

1...its to far away

2...expensive. etc.

I travelled alot back in the 90s,when our dollar was very low,thus making things elsewhere in the world expensive.Any capitol city is.A pint of beer in London cost me 2 pound,about $3.50 or so,whereas a schooner here was about $2.50-2.90.The fact that we are to far away,um hello,it didnt stop Aussies from travelling though.If we wanted to get anywhere,we had to endure long haul flights.

I guess,what im saying is chin up and bear it,although yeah true for a family the prices skyrocket due to numbers,but dont forget you are coming to the best and most beautiful country in the world.