We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

New Zealand
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

Ok this may sound a bit silly but I would like to know if there is any way we can visit Big Sur without crossing the Bixby Bridge? I have a fear of bridges (yes, it's a thing) so driving over Bixby will be impossible but I would still love to see it. I am are driving from LA to SF over a 10 day period staying in various places along the way. We are in Cambria for a couple of nights then moving on to Monterey for 3 days but I can't find any information on how to actually see Big Sur and the bridge without driving over it. Any ideas??

12 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,434 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

It is not silly It is ok. Take 101 to 68 to Monterey. Then drive south as far as bixby bridge and then turn back

New Zealand
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

Thanks belomiser. That's the route I did on a previous trip (but going in the opposite direction). So there's no way to drive Hwy 1 from Cambria to see at last some of the coastline and then turn off to meet up with 101 further up the coast? If not the your suggestion to turn South sounds like the only way to go.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

I don’t understand. If you have a fear of bridges, but you’ve already done this route before from the north, you already passed over the very high Rocky Creek bridge on the way to see Bixby Bridge. From the south, it’s the same thing but worse, as there are three high bridges (Little Sur, Big Creek and Limekiln) on the way to Bixby. Highway 1 is the only road from either north or south to Bixby, and both of them require crossing significant bridges. You may have to cross Bixby off your list.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

Hello Scott H

I was replying to the suggestion that I take 101 and 68. I've driven from Monterey to LA on 101 before not Hwy 1. I would have driven 68 from Monterey to meet up with 101 . I haven't been any further south on hwy 1 than Monterey.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,118 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

Big Sur has mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. Only one north/south road exists there.

As Scott H pointed out, there are several bridges you have to cross, but none of them are very long and the drive over them ends in a few seconds.

Are you doing the driving or someone else? If someone else, you might consider closing your eyes while crossing the bridges.

There are scarier parts of the Big Sur drive that don't involve bridges.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

Oh, OK! In any event, you won’t be able to see Bixby Bridge if you have a fear of bridges. You have to cross over other high bridges to see Bixby from either north or south.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

Ok thank you

New Zealand
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

Thanks Kibbles.

Yes I will be doing all the driving. I'm from NeW Zealand so I'm used to driving on long winding mountainous roads (we have lots of them!). It's just the high bridges that I won't be able to cope with :(

New Zealand
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

Back from our trip and yes I did drive Hwy 1 with no problems at all and it was awesome! The thought of driving over Bixby was a million times worse than actually doing it. It was a piece of cake! Cheers!

Edited: 22 October 2018, 03:25
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,321 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge

Glad you overcame it. You knew it was an irrational fear. Not all folks would have done it.

Reply to: Big Sur & Bixby Bridge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted