We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ERC - New review and further report of $400 - 450 stolen

Bedforshire, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
ERC - New review and further report of $400 - 450 stolen

I am getting a little concerned about the ongoing reports of thefts from locked safes at the Excellence Riviera Cancun. This is the second bad review within a few months. I seem to remember one previously being disputed on the forums. Perhaps the people of disbelived the previous claim, may now think again.

I am going to the ERC to get married, and will need a safe to store wedding rings, money for the cermony etc, so I am obviously a little worried about these claims.

I can't belive how ERC cannot guarantee the security of a safe. Surely the purpose of a safe is to store something safely? My experiences of the in room safe, is that you can store in your own personal password to prevent unauthorised access. I find it very odd that people can actually let themselves into your room and then access your safe.

Can anyone actually shed any light on what actually happened.

Mentioned in this post
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
14,411 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Saskatoon, SK
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
61. Re: ERC - New review and further report of $400 - 450 stolen

Jimmy,

I was also alarmed at the possibility of a theft occuring when we travel to ERC in April 09 - second honeymoon, since I was expecting during our first. I read all the post and took awhile to think before replying. Anyway here is my opinion on this HEATED debate. First of all theft occurs EVERYWHERE and we all should know that. I believe common sense and caution is our best protection. I also discussed this topic with my hubby who has stayed in more resorts than I. His response was immediately that someone probably misplaced or spent the money. He freind is well known for losing things left and right. For example last time they went to cancun he lost (misplaced) his wallet within 5 minutes of checking into his room. They did eventually find it stashed in some other pants he wore on the plane. I am not saying that all the posts are false. I think there is probably alot of validity to them. My main concern with this issue is how the management handles the situation and I hope they improve on this issue. I would use a guarenteed safe at the hotel only for wedding rings. Other valuables I would use the safe even though there is bad reviews.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,244 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: ERC - New review and further report of $400 - 450 stolen

As for not bringing anything like expensive jewelry, that is a given. I would also add not to bring expensive looking fakes or knock offs, as they draw attention to you and could make you a theft target (at any resort).

Also, make sure your little door where you put the dirty room service dishes is locked from the inside of the room. Otherwise, entry to your room is easy from the corridor-side room service door. No card key is needed to gain entry to your room if someone can enter through the little door.

This is from my Mexican husband, so please don't think me racist: corruption in Mexico is rampant, and petty theft is a given. Corrupt cops in many areas of the country have a quota to pay to their supervisor. These quotas are gained by ripping off citizens. We once gave a traffic cop a set of headphones because we didn't have any cash on us. The infraction? Nothing, but the cop said we had ran a stop sign. I can't tell you how many things we have had stolen in Mexico (not at ERC) over the years - clothes, tires, suitcases full of music CDs, jewelry, and even hair care products and cosmetics from our bathroom at a party in our house when we lived in Mexico City.

My husband thinks that ERC management is involved at some level of these thefts. That's why they never "find" the thief or even acknowledge that a theft took place. I don't know what I believe - I'd like to think that management would do a thorough internal investigation to rout out those involved in the thefts. Even if they did find the thief, he or she would just move on to another resort.

If you are robbed, don't expect much from any hotel management. As for the police, expect less. Take the number of the embassy or consulate with you on your trip, and if you are a theft victim, call the consulate and lodge a report. If enough people do that, eventually they will do something. Plus, it will help you with any insurance claim.

We had a great time at ERC in May. I'd rate it on the TA scale a solid 4 and not a 5. The food was good (not stellar), the room was nice (not stellar) the pools were pretty, the beach was okay. The service was excellent, the employees very friendly. I was nervous about theft when I was there. Luckily, we were fine. It is a bit unnerving to check in and have the desk person tell you to lock up your belongings as the hotel is not responsible for theft. But, it is a good reminder...

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
WA
Level Contributor
147 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: ERC - New review and further report of $400 - 450 stolen

A group of 8 of us are just back from ERC and not one of us had a problem with theft. We took just enough cash $250-$400 that we needed. I didn't take my wedding ring, of course if you are getting married you will need your rings but once married you won't take them off. Our group didn't take a bunch of credit cards that we didn't need either.

Safes lock with a four-digit code that you must use to unlock and lock the safe. I double checked the safe every time to make sure it was locked. The hotel door must be pulled closed (not like most that close on their own) so you have to make sure of that as well.

I'm sure some have falsely claimed that something was stolen out of their safe and that is why they wouldn't be able to guarantee the security??

Our vacation was wonderful, take some precautions and I'm sure you will have a great wedding and honeymoon!

64. Re: ERC - New review and further report of $400 - 450 stolen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 00:19