We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking around Lappeenranta

Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
3 helpful votes
Hiking around Lappeenranta

Hello everyone!

I am an exchange student in Lappeenranta, in South Karelia.

Two friends of mine are going to visit me during the end of April and beginning of May and I am anxious about finding something to do in the area.

I know that there are not so many things to do in Lappeenranta, but I am also frightened about the season and weather at that moment of the year. This winter have been pretty warm here and I was hoping that maybe the lake would be melted and that we could rent a kayak. Do you think it's too early?

So, to summarize quickly, we do not have a huge budget (200 euros max) and we would like to go hiking or biking in nature. I found few informations about hiking trails around Lappeenranta but they are mostly in Finnish.

I was also thinking about the national park of Repovesi that is not so far away but I am still struggling to understand how to get there.

Maybe a journey to Porvoo and a quick visit to Helsinki could be included in the plan. Does Porvoo is worth seeing? Do you have any ideas or recommendations?

Thank you for your help :)

Camille

1 reply
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
7,136 posts
93 reviews
83 helpful votes
1. Re: Hiking around Lappeenranta

Repovesi is not very easy to reach without a car. I suggest Punkaharju. http://www.outdoors.fi/destinations/otherprotectedareas/punkaharju/Pages/Default.aspx

Normally Saimaa would be covered with ice that time of the year, but maybe it's open this spring earlier. There's annual Student activities around May 1st, that should not be missed. Like dipping the 1st year students in the lake.

Porvoo is definitely not worth the effort from Lappeenranta. If you visit Punkaharju, do visit Savonlinna as well,

Reply to: Hiking around Lappeenranta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lappeenranta
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.