We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations in Apollo Bay & Port Campbell

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Accommodations in Apollo Bay & Port Campbell

We land in Melbourne at 11:30am Jan 7th and plan to head out on the Great Ocean Road from the airport. We'll stop along the way and in Lorne for sure. I'd like to continue on and spend the first night in Apollo Bay and the second night in Port Campbell. My question: we need lodging recommendations. I'd like to stay near the water, someplace laid back, can be motel style where we pull up a few chairs have a beer and then get a good nights sleep. We are traveling with another couple so need 2 rooms. Heeding all suggestions on not driving at night. After a busy day outdoors, we will want dinner and a good nights sleep. Thank you!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Accommodations in Apollo Bay & Port Campbell

If you are arriving in Melbourne on a long haul overseas flight do yourselves a favour and spend the night in Melbourne before hiring a car and commencing your road trip. Please don't attempt to hire a car and start your road trip while fatigued and suffering jet lag. (driver fatigue is a real concern to Australian road safety authorities as it is a major cause of road accidents) If you are arriving on a domestic flight probably ok.

If you are arriving at 11.30a on a domestic flight by the time you clear the airport and hire a car you would be lucky to get underway by 1pm. Melbourne airport to Apollo Bay will take around 3hrs - 3hrs 30min plus stops.

I would not travel any further than Apollo Bay for the first night. Port Campbell is only around 1 hour - 1 hour 30min from Apollo Bay another option would be to spend the second night at Warrnambool/Port Fairy.

The big problem you are going to have at that time of the year is finding accommodation.

From mid December through to the end of January is peak holiday time in Australia and availability of accommodation will be scarce with prices to match so you need to book now.

Another option is that if you are flying from Sydney is to consider flying into Avalon (Geelong) by Jetstar and hire a car at the airport. If this suited you I would look at pre booking the car prior to arriving at the airport.

www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au and www.visitvictoria.com.au for more info.

Re accommodation I almost forgot the Big4 group have cabin parks at Anglesea, Wye river, Apollo Bay and Port Fairy the cabins are usually two or three bedroom units at a reasonable price. I think you will find that most will require minimum night stays. www.big4.com.au for more info.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Accommodations in Apollo Bay & Port Campbell

We actually live in Sydney so no jet lag. Our visiting friends booked all their flights through a Quantas deal so we are set to fly into Melbourne main airport. I tried the visitgreatoceanroad website but looking for a personal recommendation on lodging. after spending the night in Apollo Bay, I plan to get an early start and drive out to the Otway Lighthouse and then up to the treetop walk. My daughter said the drive to the walk is an hour and then the time there. So we won't get to Gibson Steps, Gorge, Apostles until later. Want to have the next day, different light to see them again or some parts we couldn't see the day before. That is why I was thinking Port Campbell. With these thoughts, do you still think we should go as far as Port Fairy. Really don't want to double back. Will be driving straight to Melbourne on Saturday after some morning time on GOR. I will try the Big4 groups - thanks. Any other thoughts/advice?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Accommodations in Apollo Bay & Port Campbell

Port Campbell if you can get accommodation would be fine. Just be aware that the Gibson Steps was closed not long ago due to safety concerns and may not be open when you get there. The Big4 group offer quality accommodation right across the country and are a good product.

If you can secure accommodation you will have a great trip. Just keep an eye on the weather and monitor the print and electronic media for any alerts. The fire season has started early already and it looks like we are in for a bad one.

Have a good trip and if you need further assistance don't hesitate to ask.

fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Accommodations in Apollo Bay & Port Campbell

That time of year is completely crazy here, as I live on the coast. Just be aware, that accommodation will be scare. Fri 8th is the Mountain to Surf race in Lorne and Sat 9th is Pier to Pub in Lorne. One of the busiest weekends of the year. Try and avoid if possible. More likely to get a room down at Apollo Bay or further along. Perhaps try Air B and B as well. Good luck.x

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Accommodations in Apollo Bay & Port Campbell

Thanks for the warning on the scarcity of lodging. I stuck with my task and found a b&b in Apollo Bay and the Best Western in Port Campbell. Almost had to stay in the back of a bar (that's what it sounded like-ha) or the beautiful but limited hostel in Apollo Bay. My daughter stayed their and said it was great but they just have double beds and of course no private bath. They don't have many rooms left either. I ran into minimum night stays too. I'm all set for lodging on the GOR. Now I need to focus on our last night in Melbourne. It will be awesome!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Accommodations in Apollo Bay & Port Campbell

I'm really pleased this is starting to fall together for you. If you get stuck trying to find accommodation in Melbourne, consider Geelong the city has a great range of accommodation suitable for all budgets and tastes.

Have a great trip.

7. Re: Accommodations in Apollo Bay & Port Campbell

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2016, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Great Ocean Road