We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great guide for Gheralta

Save Topic
Great guide for Gheralta

Having recently returned from a holiday in Ethiopia, I can highly recommend Girmay Tewelde for anyone interested in visiting the rock-hewn churches in Tigray.

He's a nice, friendly guide, he knows a lot about the history, and can suggest different churches to visit depending on how much time you have and how much climbing you are willing to do. He took me up to Abune Yemata Guh - which was amazing - and got me down safely!

His contact details are girmaytewelde7@gmail.com and +251914108651. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have - please send me a private message.

4 replies to this topic
Gothenburg, Sweden
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Great guide for Gheralta

I have been to the amazing Gheralta historical places a couple of times. And specially the rock-hewn churches in Tigray are very wonderful to visit. I heartily recommend anyone to visit these places.

In my visit time, I got a polite, smart and respectful tour guide. His name is Girmay Tewelde and you can reach him vis his email girmaytewelde7@gmail.com. And his phone number is +251914108651.

Don't hesitate to contact me via my email for any clarification about the places and other questions.

Good luck for your trip to Ethiopia!

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Great guide for Gheralta

I visited the Gheralta rock hewn church in December 2016 and met our guide Girmay Tewelde in the guides office outside Hauzen. He was a friendly and knowledgeable guide and took care when taking us up the sometimes precarious rock faces to this remarkable church. It was certainly worth the trip and I highly recommend Girmay, who you can contact by email girmaytewelde7@gmail.com or phone +251914108651.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great guide for Gheralta

I just returned from a fantastic trip in Ethiopia, together with my family.

We met Girmay as part of our visit to the beautiful rock church.

Girmay was great – he is very knowledgeable of area and culture, has good English and is highly recommended.

He helped our 9-years old son to climb and made sure we were all safe and use safety gear where needed.

Girmay also arranges longer hikes in the area (there many churches in the area and it’s a beautiful rocky area) – you can check with him at girmaytewelde7@gmail.com

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great guide for Gheralta

I'm curious about the difficulty of the trails up to the rock churches. Is it necessary to cross very narrow ledges that have a steep drop-off on one or both sides? If it's a steep and rocky trail, ok. But if trails require crossings with large drops, not so good...

Reply to: Great guide for Gheralta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted