We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

3 posts
2 reviews
Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

I’ll be in East Africa for work next month and want to tack on a short trip to northern Ethiopia. I’d love to see the Tigray churches but don’t have more than 4-5 days, so I’m thinking of doing Lalibela and Danakil. Any advice on making this work? Some of the Danakil tours are several days long and involve things that don’t interest me - like camping by the volcano - but the depression looks amazing and I’d love to see the salt flats. Lalibela looks like it can be done in a day but it’s also a ways away from Mekele. Thanks for your help.

9 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
7 posts
1. Re: Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

When are you planning?

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

This man here has been a gem in helping organise a trip to suit me, sure he could help?.... Abebe Tesfaw ecoethiopiatours@gmail.com

3 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

Late August - so just over a month away!

3 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

Thank you!

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

Have sent you a message..

6. Re: Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 July 2018, 22:13

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
419 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

You probably should do a 2-day tour to Danakil (ask to go to Dallol). This trip will likely involve 1 night camping with no facilities. You do want to be at the salt flats for sunrise/sunset and there are no hotels.

Then fly to Lalibela, or v.v. Note the direct Mekele to Lalibela doesn't run every day so check that.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
98 reviews
8. Re: Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

I'm doing same trip at end of August too, and again I don't have too much time, is two days enough? How reliable are flights? I need to be back in Addis on time to catch a flight?

London, United...
4 posts
9. Re: Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip

Hi

Myself and a friend have booked a private flight over the Danakil. This will include Dalol Sulpher lakes, Danakil depression, Lake Katrina, Erta Ale and the salt flats.

The flight will be on the morning of the 14th of November and will be approximately 2hrs (taking off and landing from Mekele). We have one spare seat available. The cost will be around $250-$300.

Please send me a send me a private message, if you are interested.

Thanks

Reply to: Lalibela / Danakil mini-trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tigray Region