We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a mini van?

new england
14 posts
Save Topic
Rent a mini van?

Okay..still working on my Dad's 80th birthday surprise..trip to Doolin. My brothers and sisters will now be going for a total of seven. We were originally going to be renting a regular mini van, but this may not give us enough room with a wheel chair and luggage. Is driving around in a 9 passenger van safe around Doolin..I mean are the roads really narrow? Is it possible to hire a van/driver for the week to take us around wherever we decide with no specfic itinerary?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a mini van?

I just came back with my family all in one piece. We rented a 9 passenger Nissan Primastar van and really had no problems. The roads are narrow in some places. Being from US I found that if I was patient and yielded first when approaching another car on the really narrow roads I had no problem. You will have advantage of being used to the steering wheel on the other side. We had no problem around Doolin. Left from there and looped through the Burren and down to Shannon to fly out. My advice would be patience and keep your speed down as it is a big vehicle and some turns are quite sharp and will sneak up on you but I didn't have any real problems.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a mini van?

Sorry did not read you location correct. I saw England not New England but my advice is the same very doable.

nj
Level Contributor
195 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a mini van?

the best thing we did was get an automatic. It took a lot of stress away from switching gears so we could focus on the roads.

Also, a diesel will get you much better milage.

T

new england
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a mini van?

Thanks, Can you please tell me where (hertz?) you rented the 9 passenger vehicle?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,738 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a mini van?

Enterprise do an automatic VW mini bus.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a mini van?

We rented through AutoEurope and the local car agency was Sixt. Rental was good fairly new and ran great 6 speed manual with diesel. Picked up in Dublin and dropped off in Shannon. Make sure of the vehicle you are getting. It seemed as I was checking around the a mini van would show up as a 9 passenger on some sites. Just make sure you are comparing the same vehicle or size of vehicle when shopping. Good luck the advice about the automatic may reduce stress but get into your wallet pretty heavy in a larger vehicle. After the first few hours I got used to shifting with my left hand. Also be aware that the Super CDW is based on price of vehicle so if you move from minivan to more expensive larger vehicle you may see an increase in price in the CDW.

7. Re: Rent a mini van?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 07:18