We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

Which Cavan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

We are going to the Fleadh in Cavan and need to rent a harp in order for my daughter to compete. The only place I have found that will rent us one is in Castleconnell. We fly into Dublin and the drive there wouldn't be too bad but the drive from there to Cavan appears to be long. Can anyone tell me if this would be a bad drive? We would also need to return it prior to flying out of Dublin after the Fleadh.

9 replies to this topic
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

Castleconnnell to Cavan will take about 3.5 hours via Birr, Athlone and Granard. It's about 125 miles. The route is generally on National (N) class secondary roads, so you should expect reasonably good quality roads. They will be single carriageway in most cases - though quality can vary from place to place.

For more details on this and other road types check out this link www.qwiki.com/q/#!/N55_road_(Ireland) - though ignore the pronunciations of some placenames on the voiceover.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,973 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

It might actually be better to drive from Cavan to Dublin and and then down to Limerick.

The road from Dublin to Castleconnell is pretty much excellent, motorway, until the last 4 miles or so. AA Roadwatch suggest 1h35m from Cavan to Dublin. Its only 2 hours from Dublin to Castleconnell and if you have a harp and are trying to protect it the motorways are probably better.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,799 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

According to AA routeplanner, the drive via the motorway/Dublin is only 30 mins longer. I went the Birr route to Cavan last week and while the roads are quiet, there are some very bumpy patches so the harp would be more suited to the motorway option I would think.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

Have you tried contacting Cairden Cruite to see if they know of a closer place to hire the harp?

http://www.cairdenacruite.com/

new jersey
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

Never thought of doing Cavan to Dublin then on to Castleconnell. Will consider that if all else fails! Think I have contacted every person associated with harp in Ireland to rent one and this is the best I have been able to do.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

It might be worth your while to ask someone (Martin Donohue) associated with the Fleadh Cheoil if there is anyone who might loan your daughter a harp www.fleadh2011cavan.ie

It might save you from having to make two journey's to Casstleconnell

new jersey
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

Martin and I spoke yesterday and he has so nicely asked many people, but no one could help us. We are still considering bringing hers over but the drive to Castleconnell seems to be the only other option at this point. Thanks for recommending it though.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

That is a great pity - If Martin can't help you then I am sure that Catleconnell is your only chance.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick

Hi there.

Can I make a suggestion?

How about flying into Shannon airport & then make the short drive to castleconnell? Then on to Cavan.

You could come back and drop back the harp then on to Shannon.

Maybe this would not suit you but its just a thought.

Castleconnell is really nice I think it would be worth the trip alone for this!!

As you may have guessed I live here so I'm a bit biased!!!

Reply to: How bad is the drive from Cavan to Castleconnell in Limerick
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted