We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reenroe Hotel...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
97 reviews
82 helpful votes
Reenroe Hotel...
Save

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a few days in Kerry. On our travels we happened to drive past a very run down building, which on first site looked like an old factory! We drove along a small road beside the beach until we got to the gate, where we met a woman who told us it was an old closed hotel. We Googled the hotel but nothing seems to come up..which nearly makes it more mystifying!! Does anyone have any info on this place and why it has been left in ruin? Seems such a shame as it is in a fab spot!

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
1 post
1. Re: Reenroe Hotel...
Save

Hi There

The name of the hotel was actually the Reenroe Hotel, no surprises there. It was operational up until the early 90s and then it went out of business. As kids in the 80s when we were on holidays in Ballinskelligs we would go there as they had a swimming pool, can you believe that a swimming pool, it didn't take much to impress us back then. Since then it has been boarded up and the old pub part was used on and off as a cow shed. This information is only good as far back as 2008 when I visited it and took some pictures, with said pool, which can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spudmurphy/sets/72157605116840070/with/2501072255/

Apparently there were plans to tear it all down and put a new one in, but that all happened in 2007 and the old financial crash put a halt on that, here is an article from then detailing it:

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/30m-hotel-gets-green-light-in-ballinskelligs-27376617.html

but if you are interested it looks like the land is up for sale again (August 2013):

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Reenroe-Ballinskelligs-Co-Kerry/113951/

Not much information I know, but it is a quite part of the world.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Reenroe Hotel...
Save

I remember going to the irish college in 1986 in ballinskelligs and we went over to that hotel to a teen disco. I thought it looked so fancy and modern then (american looking) as it was the most unlikely place to see such a modern style hotel.

County Kerry...
Level Contributor
7 posts
203 reviews
201 helpful votes
3. Re: Reenroe Hotel...
Save

Rumour is that it's been sold and the new owners are making it into a camping ground/caravan park. We can only hope!

Reply to: Reenroe Hotel...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waterville
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.