We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kinsale to castletownbere

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
kinsale to castletownbere

hello - we will be driving from kinsale to castletownbere as part of a tour of west -could leave early in the am - and would like to get to ctb by 3 pm or so...- but any suggestions for stops along the way to the beara penn. and suggestions as to route - we are 2 drivers and are tempted to go along the coast a bit would we hve time to do this in one day? - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - we leave (yay!!) on august 19th! thanks

Edited: 10 August 2013, 03:23
9 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kinsale to castletownbere

The most direct route (if you can call it that!) for me from Cork/Kinsale would be viaKinsale - Bandon - Dunmanway - Glengarriff - CTB. There are a number of clever 'sub-routes' to get you there, but I doubt your sat nav will have enough Gigabytes to calculate those ones, so best to stick with that route if you can. This journey is 76 miles and will take you three hours. I can hear your guffaws already !!!! However the route is not direct and as you must navigate your way through a number of towns and villages on the way, you must resign yourself to 3 hours + in the car. However, don't be too disappointed as the journey is very pleasant, interesting, and you will get to see a lot of beautiful west Cork on route. But as you see, even by leaving Kinsale at 9am, you will have plenty of time to get to CTB leisurely by 3pm.

You did mention driving the coast road and yes, this is actually the route I would suggest to you (my previous paragraph was simply a ruse to suck you in and get you on board !!!

This journey in fact is only 20 miles longer but in terms of time will not take you any longer than the previous route mentioned.

If you go the Coastal route i.e Kinsale -Timoleague - Clonakilty - Skibbereen - Bantry - Glengarrif - CTB, it will give you an opportunity to take little side trips to Timoleague, Courtmacsherry, Glandore (for lunch maybe?) or Castletownshend (I recommend a visit to the historical St. Barrahane's there and lunch at Annies Pub), Heritage Centre at Skibbereen, (home to the Great Famine exhib.) Lough Hyne, Bantry House etc.

With stops, this journey could in fact take you 5 - 6 hours, but you have that amount of time so it is recommended.

As you pass Glengarrif (whether which way), you will see signs for trips to Garnish Island. This is a must do, but not on your day of travel, keep it in mind for one of your subsequent days in Castletownbere. Then, choose a pleasant day and do the Garnish Island trip. The €12 + €4 boat trip and entry fee seem a little steep until you get out there and then you realise how much it is worth it. Bring a picnic, spend a few hours there. It's very nice.

As for Beara Peninsula, well that is another story and if you have time, then a day trip doing that circuit is highly recommended. Just load up that camera of yours with Gigabytes of memory and take an oxegen tank for all that breath of yours that will surely be taken away ;-))

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kinsale to castletownbere

Thank you a million times for all of this great information!! this is really helpful and we will certainly go this route. First time in cork, kinsale and Beara area and I really can't wait - really appreciate all of your advice! thanks again! best, Karen

Canada
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kinsale to castletownbere

I went Byrno's second suggested route as far as Bantry (left Beara for another day from Kenmare) and it is a very scenic route. If you have time stop by the Drombeg stone circles near skibbereen. Not easy to find but really puts you into rural ireland!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kinsale to castletownbere

Thanks Karen !!. If there is anything you need clarified, come back. Bottom line is that from 9 till 3 is plenty of time to get to CTB (like the Acronym by the way!) nice and leisurely.

Yes to Drombeg stones also, but I think it might be a bit off the second route I suggested.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: kinsale to castletownbere

We started in Kinsale and called a halt in Kenmare. Did a figure of eight in the Beara with important stops on the Healy Pass and in MacCarthy's Bar, Castletownbere. Back to sleep in Kenmare and the Ring of Kerry the next day.

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kinsale to castletownbere

thanks very much for your suggestions - ounds like a great stop!

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kinsale to castletownbere

thanks very much for your suggestions

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,607 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: kinsale to castletownbere

On that trip, I'd stop in here for lunch.

www.oconnorseafood.com/

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kinsale to castletownbere

thanks again for all this info -may I impose for any suggestions for stops or points of interest on the beara penn? would love tohere your on what might be best choices - since we can't choose them all! staying in CTB one night then on to killarney for 2 and dingle for 2 nights! its awesome to get such detailed info thru the forum...txs!

Reply to: kinsale to castletownbere
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castletownbere