We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

Which Shannon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

I have 2 questions and appreciate your help.

At present time, as US citizens, can we still clear US customs in Ireland, when departing Shannon? Is this still done? It makes it so much easier for us to clear in Ireland, prior to the flight.

Do flights still operate in and out of Shannon for the US, especially Atlanta?

Thank you so much.

WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

My understanding is that you clear U.S. customs at your point of entry back into the United States.

Several carriers fly to and from Shannon direct from the US.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

Shannon offers preclearance of US Customs and Immigration before departure to the US and yes, Shannon still serves US destinations including Atlanta. For details of routes served, see www.shannonairport.com

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

yes you clear customs at Shannon - its so much better - I'm not sure if there is a Shannon to Atlanta flight - you should check out your airline that you want to fly and then check to see if they do shannon to atlanta

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

Depending on how you fill out the US Immigration form.....sometimes the Dept of Agriculture wants to talk to you......you may be directed to them after you land in US, even though you went through US customs in Ireland.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

Depending on how you fill out the US Immigration form.....sometimes the Dept of Agriculture wants to talk to you......you may be directed to them after you land in US, even though you went through US customs in Ireland.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

You can clear immigration in Shannon for all airlines but only with some airlines can you clear customs. I think Continental is one. Aer Lingus is starting this summer. I think Delta flies to Atlanta from Shannon, at least it used to. It might have changed recently

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,240 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

"Do flights still operate in and out of Shannon for the US, especially Atlanta?"

Delta runs the Atlanta flights but they are seasonal, you'd have to check for exact dates. (I "think" they start in May and end in October, but obviously you'd want to check to be sure.)

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

Thank you all for your answers. I can remember clearing customs and immigration in Shannon, in years past. Glad that is still working.

LOVE IRELAND

9. Re: Departure for USA from Shannon Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 06:22