We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 29 30 31 August

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 29 30 31 August

We arrived from Holyhead on the high speed ferry, very efficient, and then had a bit of a detour to Dublin Airport to pick up the third member of our party who had missed her flight to Cork but had managed to get to Dublin. Were a bit bemused by the toll arrangement on the M50.. are there cameras? Is it operational? We managed to get online later and paid the fee.

The new motorway Dublin to Cork is an improvement on the last time we did the journey (2002) but there is a gap and the roads near Abbeyleix are very bumpy indeed. Not sure if there are police with speed cameras along the road? It is a rather unbroken drive, no service stations.

Arrived in Kinsale and booked into Actons, well organised, helpful staff, room was spacious and clean and comfortable though the bathroom looked dated and there were worn carpets in public areas. Bed and bedding very comfortable.

Out to Yacht Club for pre prandial drinks, very friendly bar, and a terrace overlooking the marina. They called a taxi for us to take us up to Man Fridays for dinner.

We were pretty disappointed on arrival to be told the table we had booked some weeks beforehand (and had confirmed a week or so ago) in the Conservatory at 8pm was not available, and in fact that such bookings are not 'guaranteed'. However after a wait of nearly an hour we were seated there and enjoyed a great meal. Menu choice was we thought a bit dated, but nothing too much wrong with that when ingredients were the best and they were very well prepared. We drank wine from top end of the list as was appropriate to the occasion and we spent 290 e between three of us including tip.

Next morning it was raining, we took a boat trip around the harbours on the Spirit of Kinsale, very interesting and a good commentary worth listening to. After that we had a look round Kinsale (in the rain), had a Guiness in a pub and then set out to have a look around the countryside, very pretty, and got as far as Baltimore.

That evening we dined at Pier One at the Trident Hotel which turned out to be a good choice, great location, again a slightly limited menu, but we enjoyed good seafood, not too crowded, a very enjoyable evening.

Total spend there was slightly less, 260 e, we thought prices were pretty high, maybe about 15% higher than we would expect to spend here (in Chester).

Next day we had to be up and away back to Dun Laoghaire, and it hadn't and didn't stop raining all the way...

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 29 30 31 August

Oh God, sorry about the rain. It has been the wettest summer on record here - can you believe it?

Also, it's the third year in a row that we have had a very damp and dreary summer.

I am very disappointed to hear that Man Friday did not make an effort to keep a table for you especially as you had travelled such a distance. You need to email them about that, I don't think it's acceptable. Why can't they guarantee bookings such as that particularly when you went to such trouble to get a specific location.

I think it's about time too that they started doing a little updating of all things at Man Fridays. I passed by it a few weeks ago and the entrance way (covered steps) is looking a tad shabby.

Relieved to hear that the food in the Trident was ok. The standards there tend to vary between mediocre and good.

Such a pity you hit Baltimore in the rain, it's dismal that way but beautiful and vibrant when the weather is better.

Do come back again and take a trip out to one of the islands, you wont' be disappointed.

09/09/09 09:09

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 29 30 31 August

There was a sign outside Man Friday to do with planning permission to do some building work, so I rather think there will be some changes soon.

yup it sure rains, but don't feel responsible, it is the same here, and it does keep the grass green.

Hopefully anyone planning any trips may get a September 'Indian summer'.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 29 30 31 August

Not much sign of an indian summer today, it lashed from 07:00 until about 5:30pm and then the sun came out for 8 minutes.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 29 30 31 August

Isn't it funny? We had 5 days of rain for our first visit to Kinsale in Sept 2008 and they told us then it had been a record wet summer.After all the hype we were disappointed with Man Fridays.Jolas much better.

Wow the prices you paid! I know the £/E exchange rate is poor but the prices you quoted were in euros so the exchange rate is irrelevant.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 29 30 31 August

"Wow the prices you paid! I know the £/E exchange rate is poor but the prices you quoted were in euros so the exchange rate is irrelevant"

The review does say they were drinking wine from the top end of the list so that surely bumped up the bill!!

And on the M50 yes indeed there are cameras, all vehicles crossing the toll line are recorded and must pay a toll by the following evening if they dont have an automatic account in place. I have registered with them and it takes the money from my bank account at the end of each month if I have used the M50 toll, it is also cheaper if registered. Very good system in my opinion and the reduction in traffic congestion on the motorway is great since the road upgrade

Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 29 30 31 August

Baltimore, Ireland, has been recommended as a biking destination for a trip to Ireland next spring. I was interested and clicked on the link in the original post here - and was humorously surprised to have it open a page about Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Oh well, computers get it wrong, sometimes. I'd still like to read more about Baltimore, Ireland.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 29 30 31 August

It's a pretty small place so probably doesn't have its own forum. Very boat-y and seemed to have lots of cafes and restaurants. Looked a pretty place (though very wet the day we were there). Worth a visit I would say.

And yes our Man Friday bill did include 104 E for wine, we did have to wait quite a while for our table! Starters were 11-12 e each and mains 23 - 26 29 euro each, not cheap but it was very good quality.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 29 30 31 August

Kahtrav, Baltimore is a very small fishing village. If you are interested in biking you can do that in any part of the countrym, Baltimore would be a no better or worse biking are than the rest.

The draw to Baltimore is of course the ferries to the two islands. Cape Clear (50mins) and Sherkin (25)

Both Islands are inhabited and worth a visit. My favourite is Cape Clear but I would only visit on a clear dry day to get the best views.

I think an idyllic day would be to take the ferry to one of the islands, find a cove and have a picnic.

Believe it or not a local lady runs a mini bus tour of cape clear island. The bus takes about 10 people on a 60 minute tour for about €6 per person. Must do that sometime.

9. Re: Trip report 29 30 31 August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Kinsale