We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

226 Bus From/To Cork Airport

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
18 reviews
23 helpful votes
226 Bus From/To Cork Airport

Hi,

Looking at booking a trip to Kinsale for a week in August 2024 for 4 adults and 1 child who will be 5.

The original plan was to hire a car but the cost is ridiculous for a week so looking unlikely we'll be able do to that now.

Looking at the 226 bus route and times we could definitely use the bus to get from and back to the airport. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of using the service and the general reliability (or lack) of it? Don't want to bank on using the bus only for it not to show and be stranded. :-/

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
68 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: 226 Bus From/To Cork Airport

It’s generally fine between Kinsale and the Airport. It’s between the airport and Cork City it can get overcrowded. I would say it’s pretty reliable, but can find its schedule impacted by congestion, especially between 7:30am and 9:30am and between 4:30pm and 6:30pm. I used it to get to work for several years and I never experienced a cancellation, just occasional punctuality issues. It’s usually more reliable from the Kinsale side as that is a terminus, with a bit of padding from the arrival of the inbound bus.

Edited: 18 October 2023, 10:48
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
18 reviews
23 helpful votes
2. Re: 226 Bus From/To Cork Airport

Thanks so much for you response, that's really helpful to know.

Luckily due to the flight times, we will need the bus on a Wednesday and the times are around 2pm Airport > Kinsale and 11am Kinsale > Airport so fingers crossed this would work.

Our plan I think is to try and use the bus service for a couple of day trips, one to Cork and another some else to be decided maybe a long the coast (dependent on routes etc). In your opinion, do you think this is achievable/realistic? As mentioned in my original post, we wanted to hire a car and the plan was to visit towns and in particular beaches in Kinsale and the surrounding areas. However, the cost is currently coming in around £400-500 for the week which is just crazy. For the same car for a week in January it is around £200. Don't mind paying more in the summer but not more than double!

My only concern is that spending a week in Kinsale with no car may be too much in terms of things to do and see on foot/bus.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
68 reviews
47 helpful votes
3. Re: 226 Bus From/To Cork Airport

This is the only other real bus route in Kinsale

https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Local-Link-253-Time-Table-2022.pdf

The good news is that it gives access to a number of coastal villages between Kinsale and Clonakilty.

You can get a couple of day trips out of that. The not so good news is that there’s not much of interest on the 226 route between Kinsale and Cork.

You’ll probably find a couple of days of things to do in Kinsale on foot, but a week without a car is quite a long time.

Edited: 18 October 2023, 12:50
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
18 reviews
23 helpful votes
4. Re: 226 Bus From/To Cork Airport

Thanks Blackgreen, that's really useful to know. Looks like we could use that route to visit a couple of beaches in Garretstown/Garylucas and/or Clonakilty if we wished too. Also looks like there is a shuttle bus which runs from Kinsale to Charlesfort so that's handy. We could definitely make use of that. :)

I found some old references to a small boat which ferried people over from Kinsale to Castle park Marina. Do you (or anyone else) know if this is still in place or gone now? That would be really useful for getting to Dock Beach.

Yeah I was worried a week would be too much without a car but with the information you've given me I think we could fill a few of the days with other things now which removes some of the concern. Some possible trips/activities:

- Dock beach

- Cork (with Fota Wildlife Park?)

- Harbour Ferry Cruise

- Garretstown Beach and/Clonakilty

Plus a couple of days for wandering around Kinsale itself and visiting Charlesfort.

What's your thoughts?

Edited: 18 October 2023, 13:21
Reply to: 226 Bus From/To Cork Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kinsale
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.