We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where would you stay near ballina

Which Ballina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northern ireland
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where would you stay near ballina

We wish to stay in self catering accommodation - we are considering staying near Ballina. Should we?? We are a large family group of various ages ranging from 13 to 80 and including dogs and wish to stay near the coast and close to a town with several restaurants (decent ones), shops etc. We would also be interested in horse riding and golf. Any suggestions?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where would you stay near ballina

WEll Ballina certainly ticks the boxes that you are looking for. I have been there on a number of occasions just to stay with friends who live there.

The town has plenty of cafes/shops/pubs and restaurants. It is a good town to be within driving distance from.It's a bustling market town and I am quite fond of the place.

About a 5 minute drive from the town is Beleek Woods & Castle where there is beautiful walks and would be a nice place to bring the dogs. It's on the banks of the River Moy and there are red squirrels in the woods. Some have been introduced to try and boost the population.

I have passed these self-catering cottages in the next town of Killala and overlooking Killala Bay and harbour. However Killala is very quiet and you would have to drive to Ballina for restaurants.

http://www.killalabayholidays.com/

It's not along drive though.

It's a bustling market town and I am quite fond of Ballina.

There is a golf course in Ballina on the Tubbercurry road and there is also one in Swinford.

I don't know about the horse riding but I have no doubt there is some in the area.

2. Re: where would you stay near ballina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Ballina