We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Connor Pass

Essex
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The Connor Pass

I wanted to recommend an area of outstanding beauty in a town that's got more areas of outstanding beauty than you can shake a stick at.

When I first went to Dingle with my wife and some of her family about 22 years ago the place, the people, the views from the harbour, the pubs and the ambience just blew my mind.

One afternoon after a particularly large lunch of poached salmon, my wife and all of her family embarked upon their usual Sunday afternoon ritual.....they all fell asleep ! I had no intention of wasting any precious hours with my eyes closed so I got into my car and headed for the Connor Pass because my wife had mentioned it several times over the years I'd known her.

The drive to the Pass is amazing with mountain goats perched on the craggy rocks to the left and a valley to the right . The views on the drive alone would have sufficed for any city-boy starved of verdant landscapes. but then I arrived at the car park which marks the summit of the ascent from Dingle and the beginning of the descent towards Brnadon Bay. And then I realised I hadn't seen anything yet.

I parked the car, got out and sat on a wall looking out towards Brandon Bay. The hues changed constantly due to clouds passing overhead and it seemed that every time I looked at the overall vista that too changed.

Believe me , I'm not an overly sensitive type but I'm not ashamed to say that I sat there on my own taking in the view and I found myself weeping.

Ignore all the guff about how hair-raising the drive is, it's not hair-raising, it's exhilarating so I implore you, whatever you do in Dingle, make sure that a trip up the Connor Pass is part of your itinerary. You'll thank me for this advice one day :)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Connor Pass

Totally agree about the Connor Pass. Have you been up to the tower at Eask? This is the one you can see when looking across the harbour from Dingle town, it is not a difficult walk and the views across Dingle Bay are stupendous.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,390 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Connor Pass

It is beautiful and it is fabulous, but for those of a nervous disposition it can be a bit white knuckle (particularly when you're coming against a local who knows every inch of every bend and you don't).

But is also mists up a bit and there's no point in going up if its misty (we did it in a combination mist and dusk the last time and its not to be recommended!!)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Connor Pass

Yes, EssexHammer, the Conor Pass is really something else and thanks for your post.

"You'll thank me for this advice one day :)"

Well, it has been a recommendation by countless posters over the years.

While I agree that there isn't much point in going up in foggy, misty, rainy conditions and that persons of a nervous disposition might find the drive a bit unnerving it is perfectly safe, Just be prepared to stop at a moment's notice because of sheep crossing the road or, as mentioned, locals taking this pass at their own pace because they're so familiar with it

The fun altogether is trying to get up the Conor Pass from the Dingle side in third gear without having to stop. Managed this a few times. It's just a bit of fun and is obviously abandoned the moment there are sheep, walkers or other cars on the road.

The views from the viewing point are just absolutely spectacular. On a clear day/morning/evening you can see the Skelligs to the southwest and the Cliffs of Moher and the Aran Islands to the north-east.

I have seen some spectacular sights all around the world but the Conor Pass still takes my breath away.

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Connor Pass

Thank you everyone - I will add this to our 'must-do' list, weather permitting.

Quick question: after we leave the Dingle area, we are headed towards Bunratty/Galway and we do want to see the Cliffs of Moher. I'm a bit uninformed about the ferry, where it leaves from/to, and if this is an option if we want to see the Cliffs (from land). Also, would this be the same ferry service that goes to the Aran Islands.

Thanks for everyone's help and advise. I'm compiling edited versions of saved posts to bring with us on our trip - leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow and can't believe it!!

MassMom3

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Connor Pass

The Shannon ferry leaves from Tarbert in Kerry to Killimer in Clare (www.shannonferries.com/) so you can drive up to the Cliffs of Moher if you wish. Ths is not, however, the same ferry as the Aran Islands ferry from Doolin (www.doolinferries.com/).

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Connor Pass

I drove over the Connor Pass this evening. One side of the valley was in bright sunshine, while Mount Brandon shouldered a shroud of mist which swirled and eddied. From time to time a shaft of sunlight would beam through the mist and shimmer on the lakes below.

It was incredibly beautiful.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,132 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Connor Pass

Soonas, did you see the bit about the micro-brewery on Nationwide tonight?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Connor Pass

No, I was on the road to Dublin. Was it the one in Ballyferriter that's a joint venture between Keane's and Brics?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Connor Pass

A microbrewery???? Do tell us more...... We'll have a cottage in lovely Dingle for a week at Easter and this sounds like one for our 'to do' list!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Connor Pass

tapl

Tigh Bhric in Riasc on the Slea Head route and O Catháin's in nearby Ballyferriter have a joint venture poducing cask-conditioned ale. I have tried it, but I'm not an ale man ("real" or atherwise).

Given the type of Dublin pub favoured by your goodselves, I think you would enjoy Bric's - here's their site

http://www.tigbhric.com/

Are planning to stay in Dingle town or elsewhere?

Get answers to your questions about Dingle
Recent Conversations