We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dingle to Rock of Cashel

Which Dingle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
dingle to Rock of Cashel

After reading many posts and listening to others recommendations to leisurely enjoy Ireland, my husband and I have focused our stay on the West coast. We will be visiting for a total of 8 days. There was so much that we wanted to see and do, but we also want it to be relaxing. We have heard a great deal about the Rock of Cashel and I love history so am wondering if this is a sight not to be missed. I don;t think we will be seeing anything like that in the burren or in Dingle (please correct me if I'm wrong). We will be staying in and around Doolin for 3 days/2 nights and then spending 4 nights and 3 full days in Dingle. We are wondering if we should attempt to drive to the Rock of Cashel for our last full day . We would need to see the sights and then drive fairly close to the Shannon airport for our last night as our flight leaves midmorning the next day. Would it be feasable to travel from Dingle to Rock of Cashel and then back close to the Shannon airport in a day and is it worth a visit ?

Thanks so much for everyones opinion!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
8,953 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dingle to Rock of Cashel

It's feasible, but will be tiring.If you love history, then you will find plenty in Dingle , cliff top forts, beehive huts, ogham stones, sundials an marriage stones, Gallarus etc. etc. Sciurd do bus tours, given by people who know what they are talking about,

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dingle to Rock of Cashel

You may wish to visit this other religious structure as an alternative to Cashel as you could easily drive by it on your way from Dingle to Shannon. Ardfert Cathedral, associated with St. Brendan the Navigator who reputedly sailed to present day North America in the 6th century, is located in the small village of Ardfert a few miles outside Tralee and so only a short detour from a direct Dingle Shannon journey. More info at

heritageireland.ie/en/…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardfert_Cathedral

Chicago IL
Level Contributor
238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dingle to Rock of Cashel

If it is feasible, I would still do it even though it may be tiring. I LOVED the Rock of Cashel. If the rest of your trip is pretty laid back, then 1 day of driving won't matter much. Go for it!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,412 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dingle to Rock of Cashel

It is a fair way out from you route and would turn a couple of hours between Doolin and Dingle into a full days drive. If it is a must see then it might be worth sacrificing a day out of your 2 main locations to spend the night in the Cashel/Cahir region to make the most of these sights. You could still have the best part of 3 days on Dingle but only 3 nights, 2 if you spend the last somewhere like Bunratty before your flight home.

5. Re: dingle to Rock of Cashel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:17