We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Towns of interest between Sligo, Dublin & Belfast

Level Contributor
17 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Towns of interest between Sligo, Dublin & Belfast

Hi All,

I'm travelling solo to Carrick on Shannon in early Sept. for a wedding and will also be visiting a friend in Belfast. Fly in and out of Dublin. I was planning on taking the train between Carrick, Dublin and Belfast but I was wondering if there are any towns of interest worth stopping at on the way, between either of these places? In particular I'm keen on outdoorsy type of stuff like hiking.

I only have 2 weeks unfortunately, so really only have time for one extra stop on my trip.

I've already seen a bit of Ireland but have no experience on the train and can't afford car hire this time around.

Thanks in advance! :)

5 replies to this topic
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Towns of interest between Sligo, Dublin & Belfast

The obvious place for hiking is the Mournes area. From Belfast you can get a bus to Newcastle & if you stop there for a couple of nights get the Mourne Rambler to explore (only runs during summer months).

Alternatively (and this is more of a detour) consider getting the train to the north coast (Portrush) from Belfast & base yourself there. Then use the Causeway Rambler bus to explore the famous Causeway coastal area. Lts to see in this area with great beaches for walks & famous coastal hikes in between the sights. Yes, it's taking you out of your area but only by a 1.5 hr train ride & loads to see/do.

Have a look at www.walkni.com for walks/hikes in Northern Ireland.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Towns of interest between Sligo, Dublin & Belfast

Going via Dublin is backtracking. Why not go via Sligo and then take the bus to Belfast via Enniskillen?

Level Contributor
17 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Towns of interest between Sligo, Dublin & Belfast

Thanks so much for your replies. I actually had no idea there's a bus from Sligo to Belfast via Enniskillen, from what I've been able to find everything is via Dublin first. Great to know! :)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Towns of interest between Sligo, Dublin & Belfast

Consult both these route maps to get an overview of the routes available:

buseireann.ie/pdf/1424345990-BE-English-Netw…

https:/…20Map.pdf

Level Contributor
17 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Towns of interest between Sligo, Dublin & Belfast

Thanks everyone, very helpful :)

Reply to: Towns of interest between Sligo, Dublin & Belfast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newry
Recent Conversations