We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos in July?

6 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos in July?

We are going to Vila in 2 weeks. Do we need mosquito spray?

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos in July?

I would say yes. I am currently on Baros and before coming here was on Ellaidhoo for 10 days. I have visited The Maldives on 3 other occasions in January, February and April and had no bites but I have been bitten quite a lot this trip despite both islands fogging regularly and me using various potions to repel the beasties so I figure it is seasonal and being the rainy season there are more of the blighters around. I am not sure all my bites are from mozzies but they itch like mad anyway.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos in July?

Hi

Vilamendhoo do fog regularly but it's always best to take a good repellent especially for at the airport and on excursions. I always put repellent on at night too.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos in July?

Currently on Komandoo....no bites so far.....

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos in July?

Thank you so much! This is my third time to the Maldives...but never been there in July. Recently read a review (from June) from at traveller who have been attacked by mozzies, and It made me a bit nervous. Enjoy your holiday!

London, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos in July?

I think it may also depend on the Island as well as the time of year - you're more likely to get bites in the wet season but when I went in July I got none in Mirihi. Got about 6 at lily beach in wet season though!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos in July?

My experience of Vila is in August rather than July, twice - and `I'd say you definitely should take some spray. They do fog the island, bit by bit, so towards the end of the 'rotation' there are patches that are due, and there are mosquitoes.

Worcester
Level Contributor
63 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos in July?

We returned early June, we had an amazing time although we all got eaten alive. We visited the doctor who was fantastic and gave us tablets to stop the itching. We did use repellant however we still had lots of bites. They said they had a lot of rain the previous week which didn't help. Enjoy!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos in July?

Not seen or rather heard any mozzies so far on this trip to Vila but have come armed ;-) Has been dry and hot though. Cheers Colin

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos in July?

Scratch that, just been bitten by something despite using smidge that midge this evening :-( cheers Colin

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos in July?

You should definetly always take it, and absolutely wear it when arriving and departing in hulhumale. Dengue fever is more probable there and you need to protect yourself, the risk is tiny, but it exists.

Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo
More Vilamendhoo Topics