We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Trips from Vilamendhoo

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
441 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling Trips from Vilamendhoo

We have been to Vilamendhoo 3 times and were considering booking a different resort for 2017 just for variety. We have not been able to find a resort that has snorkeling that is as good as Vila and as is easily accessible from the shore as Vila and is at the same price or lower than Vila. As a result we are now thinking of going back to Vila in 2017 and taking a snorkel trip from the island. Apparently, the snorkel trips for corals and fish (not the ones for whalesharks, turtles and mantas) go 3 times a week from Vila. Does anyone know if these trips usually have enough people to actually go and if so, where do they go to? Is where they go at least as good as the reef at Vila?

Also, for variety, we could try the night snorkel trip at Vila. Do you see different creatures on the night snorkel than during the day?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Trips from Vilamendhoo

Cannot speak for the snorkelling trips from Vila - I'm sure others will be along with their experiences.

I regularly night snorkel and dive and yes you can see different things that you might not normally see during full on daylight: sharks are more visible and will hunt in your torch beam if there aren't too many of you; lionfish will be more active in dusk and darkenss or early in the morning; octopus will be more visible (well - more visible given how well they can camouflage themselves); morays will be freely swimming across the reef from late afternoon; if you take time and get up close to walls, coral blocks etc you have a greater chance of seeing small things like shrimps, juvenile squat lobsters and porcelain crabs, also some anemones and soft corals will come out at night; napoleon wrasse and turtles may come much closer as they are feeding or turtles can sometimes be found sleeping under coral outcrops and under hangs; some of the shoaling fish can gather together in astonishingly large shoals (striped snapper, fusiliers, bat fish etc) - if they are disturbed or a predator is present the noise they make as they suddenly move as one is like a gunshot underwater; rays may come into the shallows and you can watch them sifting the sand looking for food; some fish - sweetlips, groupers will come further up onto the reef and take shelter under tables corals; parrot fish find holes in the reef and form a bubble to sleep in - make sure not to shine a light and disturb them.

In short take time and look around the rocks, even on the sandy bottom and you will see life you may miss during the daytime. Patience is key.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Trips from Vilamendhoo

Highly recommend a night snorkel. Just always remember to never go alone and have a spare torch or one. Your hotel may require you check in and out for safety.

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Trips from Vilamendhoo

The reef at turtle point just off vila was very good.Loads of fish and of course the turtles.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Trips from Vilamendhoo

I'm afraid I didn't even know they do dedicated snorkelling trips...I would email them and ask them the questions.

What I would say is that we chartered a day trip from Vila last year and for part of it we asked to go to a good reef to snorkel on the way back. We went to a reef that you can see would be there on aerial photos that is on the north side of the island and along from the water villas end (not sure if that makes sense). It was amazing. Lots more bright colours and lots of fish that we hadn't seen before. Saw my first lion fish swimming around rather than just sitting there.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Trips from Vilamendhoo

Is it something the dive centre arranged rather than the hotel?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling Trips from Vilamendhoo

Eurodivers at Vila offers guided night snorkel only on Friday. You do see different things at night. If you miss the Friday guided trip, u can hire a torch for $11USD each. Also the dive centre offers a fluo night snorkel/diving for $98 with special light & mask.. We only did the night snorkel ourselves which was totally worth it! Enjoy Vila!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling Trips from Vilamendhoo

Ricci D, oops I've just realised your question might have been directed at me??

8. Re: Snorkeling Trips from Vilamendhoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2017, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo
More Vilamendhoo Topics