We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapalua vs Wailea

Which Kapalua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
364 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Kapalua vs Wailea

Hi all,

When I have asked around about what part of Maui to stay on, I heard a lot of "I prefer Wailea over Kaanapali."

I haven't heard anyone mention Kapalua, but I am interested in a luxury hotel - can't afford Four Seasons - and Ritz is in Kapalua.

Can anyone tell me what Wailea is like versus Kapalua? What each area is known for? Drawbacks to both?

Thanks!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
41,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapalua vs Wailea

Kapalua has only one resort - the Ritz. It is on the north side of the island, so weather is more of a factor than West Maui (Ka'anapali) or South Maui (Wailea). This, of course, depends on WHEN you are visiting. Time of the year.

Both Wailea and Ka'anapali are very walkable with a string of resorts and easy access to shopping and restaurants. Not so with Kapalua. But know that the Ritz is only about 15 to 20 minutes (if that) from Ka'anapali - so you can enjoy both easily.

if you don't have a good map of Maui -- snag one.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 21:00
California
Level Contributor
364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapalua vs Wailea

Thanks for your response. I did check out a map of Maui, definitely helpful to get my bearings. We are going in late August. I notice that Hawaii's resorts seem to be very family friendly, and I am actually looking for a place that will have minimal kids, or at least separate pools.

Priority is probably also a great sand beach, calmer waters.... does Kapalua have that? What do you think of going there in August, is there a specific area of the island I should stick to?

Thanks.

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,521 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapalua vs Wailea

Kapalua would be fantastic in the summer months. There is another resort just down the street from the Ritz, the Napili Kai Resort. There are also a bunch of condo's in Napili.

For a resort far from it all, check into the Makena Beach and Golf Resort in Makena!! Fantastic resort at the end of the road. Not a whole lot of kids and the beach is one of Maui's best. It's also within a 10 min. drive of the other south Maui resorts and Kihei.

bothell, wa
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapalua vs Wailea

Last year we had a mix up on our last night at Honua Kai and we spent one night at Makena Beach and Golf and while it was great for one night, I would not consider it luxury as the OP requested. They went through a change of ownership and are giving the hotel a much needed updating. That said, the hospitality and warm aloha spirit is really in effect there. All the employees are super nice and helpful. I would certainly say its more of a 2 star than a 5 star though.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kapalua vs Wailea

IMO Kapalua is very walkable. There aren't the shopping or restaurant choices, but several beaches to chose from and the Kapalua coastal trail. Some condos in Kapalua have access to the Ritz pool.

Our preference is to split our stay between both areas.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
41,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kapalua vs Wailea

If the price is right at the Ritz - and if you have a car - go for it! August should be great!

If that doesn't work out for you ... the Hyatt has a separate kids' pool, and the Sheraton Maui doesn't cater to kids as much.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 21:46
Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kapalua vs Wailea

As hgjames mentioned there are a few beaches you can walk to in Kapalua and the experience varies at each. Kapalua bay is great for snorkeling and has very calm waters since it is the bay. Oneloa bay has great sand, very few people, and bigger waves to play in or surf. The Kapalua coastal trail connects both of the beaches and is a great "hike" along the coastline. Its absolutely beautiful to see the teal blue waters next to the black rocks and white sand. Gorgeous!

Level Contributor
33,907 posts
885 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kapalua vs Wailea

We stayed at Honua Kai and made frequent trips to the beach at Kapalua, it's a gorgeous area to spend time in. :).

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
19,980 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kapalua vs Wailea

Is this your first visit to Maui? Do you plan to visit Haleakala, Iao Valley and drive Road to Hana? Kapalua is about as far as you can get from these, and from OGG (airport). Wailea is upscale and closer. Kaanapali is closer, but not as upscale as Kapalua or Wailea. Some like Kaanapali for its proximity to Lahaina Town's nightlife. There are pro's and con's to all.

Ritz is 2nd best hotel on Maui, IMO. 4S is tops. Fairmont is very nice. Wailea Marriott is nice too, with more rooms closer to the water. I'd definitely rcommend the Ritz if you plan to just settle in and enjoy the resort than if you want to tour the island. The area should be a tad cooler than some places on Maui -- nice in summer. The Ritz sits on a rise, catching the breezes and with a wider view. The beach is below. (They'll take you by golf cart if you wish.)

Might you come in September instead of August? Mainland kids will be at home, in school.

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,521 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kapalua vs Wailea

Yes, I did miss the "luxury" part of the hotel!! Sorry, still think you would like the hotel and the location.

Get answers to your questions about Kapalua