We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pueblo Magico - Tlalpujahua

Toronto
Level Contributor
510 posts
7 reviews
Pueblo Magico - Tlalpujahua

Tlalpujahua is one of the towns (85 in 2014 - I recall) that have been designated as Pueblo Magico.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo_M%C3%A1gico

Pueblo Magico -- I have place them on my "bucket list" having now visited 8. Each, has been a notable town or small city.

jt

34 replies to this topic
Toronto
Level Contributor
510 posts
7 reviews
31. Re: Pueblo Magico - Tlalpujahua

SteveMex

A good discussion. But, the link you supplied:

ororadio.com.mx/noticias/…

was to a radio station blog site in the state of Oaxaca -- which is even further away from Morelia. The picture at the top of the blog was taken in Chipancingo, Guerrero. The only link to "feet on the ground" information about the bus hijackings was provided by Aracadio Mendez Hurtado who is the president of the local trade (Michoacan) group representing the transportation industry. He is not a government official and he is not capable of making "official" statements.

Regardless, the police in Morelia are not involved. The 23 buses (owned by 6 different bus companies) were being leased to three "Normal" schools -- presumably, where the "Normalista" students were attending.

As an aside, your ongoing reference to your experience with the group of teachers who had taken over the toll boths on a cuota -- where and when did this occur? In my recent visit to Tlalpujahua (the topic of the post) I found only three toll booths that might have been involved. Was your unfortunate experience at one of these?

jt

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
32. Re: Pueblo Magico - Tlalpujahua

My experience was at the caseta on the (relatively) new autopista from Uruapan towards Lazaro Cardenas (in Michoacan). The current protests are largely concentrated in the state of Guerrero (Acapulco was completely closed down a couple of days ago by thousands of protesters) and I would not worry too much about them in Michoacan. I picked the first link I found on bus hijackings - such incidents have been reported widely and they have scared many people into not using the road Mexico City-Acapulco. I can't understand why anyone would think these stories are made up - they have been happening for the last few years.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
33. Re: Pueblo Magico - Tlalpujahua

would expect this forum would be about Tlalpujahua and what its like and what to do there etc. It seems to be about anything but. Does anyone have any insight into the town? Has anyone visited there?

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
270 posts
18 reviews
34. Re: Pueblo Magico - Tlalpujahua

Yes, I've been there, its a lovely town with interesting history. Well worth the visit since its close to the monarch reserves. I recommend you visit the Sierra Chincua reserve to see the monarchs.

Reply to: Pueblo Magico - Tlalpujahua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tlalpujahua