We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Daytrip from Lucca

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
689 posts
41 reviews
One Daytrip from Lucca

We plan to take a day trip from Lucca to a nearby site next month. At that point in our trip we will not yet have a rental car, so travel out of Lucca will be by bus or train. We already have a trip to Ponte della Maddalena planned (on a different day). We'd like to keep the destination less than an hour away by train or bus. What are your favorite suggestions?

We are currently considering a day in one of these spots, but appreciate any new suggestions and your preferences:

1. Pistoia

2. Montecatini Terme

3. One of the nearby Villas (which is best?)

Edited: 17 April 2018, 22:35
7 replies to this topic
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: One Daytrip from Lucca

Just my personal view, really liked Pistoia, not a fan of Montecatini Terme, but did like Montecatini Alto though it was many, many years ago when we visited. Never had the desire to visit any of the Villas.

mesh

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
689 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: One Daytrip from Lucca

If we took the train to Pistoia in the morning do you think we could see enough of Pistoia and still make it back to Lucca by 1930 for dinner?

CA
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: One Daytrip from Lucca

The giant Pistoia market is on Wed and Sat.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: One Daytrip from Lucca

Neurorad1, I personally think that it will be more than enough time in Pistoia: www.italyheaven.co.uk/tuscany/pistoia.html

secretitaly.it/visit-pistoia-the-next-italia…

mesh

Edited: 18 April 2018, 11:56
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
689 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: One Daytrip from Lucca

Thanks to suggestions so far I think we will try to go to Pistoia on one day of our week in Lucca and go to Bagni di Lucca an other day that we had already set aside to go see/photograph the Ponte della Maddalena (bridge).

If anyone has good ideas about how to plan the latter via public transportation I'd appreciate it very much.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: One Daytrip from Lucca

Can't help with public transport but we go to Bagni di Lucca for lunch on Fridays (we are creatures of habit!) when in Lucca at: http://www.ristorantedelsonno.it/ in the La Villa area of Bagni di Lucca. They do a weekday two course lunch menu for 10 euros if interested (closed on Thursdays).

mesh

Edited: 18 April 2018, 13:59
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
689 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: One Daytrip from Lucca

Perfect. Marked it for our lunch.

Reply to: One Daytrip from Lucca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of Lucca