We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa for Sudan

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1,006 reviews
Save Topic
Visa for Sudan

Is it possible to get a visa for Sudan in Aswan (Egypt)?

I am from The Netherlands (European Union) and Dutch passport holder.

What is the cost? How long will it take to get it? Requirements?

Mentioned in this post
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
17 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa for Sudan

I will be traveling to the same place and I am European passport holder too. Any advise.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1,006 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa for Sudan

December 2017 from Aswan. It is no problem for EU passportholders to get a visa for Sudan in Aswan. It costs 50 USD and you will get it within three working days.

Mentioned in this post
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa for Sudan

Robert, where in Sudan did you go? How was the safety?

Is it the same for US Passports if you happen to know?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1,006 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa for Sudan

At the moment I am staying in Khartoum Youth Hostel. I traveled here from Aswan in Egypt, where I picked up my visa. I do not know if the consulate grants visa to US passportholders. Most of the applicants I met were Europeans or Asians from South Korea, Japan and China.

Here in Khartoum I did not meet any US citizens. Sanctions against Sudan have only very recently been eased after a visit by the US representative to the UN paid a visit to the region.

Generally Sudan is considered a very safe country for Westerners and Asians. The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a serious warning about traveling to Egypt (code orange). For Sudan there is no such warning (code yellow). I have encountered no hostility towards Westerners or US citizens in particular.

Ordinary criminality hardly exists in Sudan. I walk around at night in Khartoum and feel completely safe, despite the fact there hardly is regular street lighting.

So Eric come over!

Mentioned in this post
Khartoum
Khartoum
Khartoum State, Sudan
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa for Sudan

Robert,

Ah that is awesome, very reassuring to hear. I would like to come on a future trip.

What about between Khartoum and Ethiopia? I've read in the past about bandits on this route. Have you heard any issues? Is that your planned route as well?

Mentioned in this post
Khartoum
Khartoum
Khartoum State, Sudan
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1,006 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa for Sudan

Yes, Khartoum - Gondar (Ethiopia) is my planned route. Travelers coming from Gondar report the route is safe..

Mentioned in this post
Khartoum
Khartoum
Khartoum State, Sudan
Ludwigsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
413 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa for Sudan

I've just returned from Abu Simbel - Khartoum.

I cannot tell you anything about the visa as I had all my visa beforehand, but I can tell you that this route was perfectly safe to travel for a female solo traveller. I could walk around on my own without any problems at all. Just be well organised, you need quite a number of permits, etc. when travelling in Sudan.

Mentioned in this post
Khartoum
Khartoum
Khartoum State, Sudan
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa for Sudan

Thank you both!

Hey, can I ask one more question. What about the Ethiopia visa? Did you get that in Egypt as well? Can you get that in Sudan? I understand it's not possible to get on the border.

Best,

Eric

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1,006 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa for Sudan

Hi Eric,

Picking up an Ethiopian visa at their embassy here in Khartoum should not be a problem. It costs 40 USD (one month) or 60 USD (three months). Two passport photos are required and copies of the information page and Sudan visa page with entry stamp of your passport. Waiting time is about two hours.

The Ethiopian embassy in Khartoum has the reputation of being one of the fastest and easiest.

I will go there tomorrow and find out.

Kind regards from Khartoum,

Robert

Mentioned in this post
Khartoum
Khartoum
Khartoum State, Sudan
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa for Sudan