We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Market

Which Memmingen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
122 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Market

Will the Christmas Market be open in Memmingen on 20 Nov or are we too early?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Market

The city website ( www.memmingen.de ) states that the Christmas Market will open at the beginning of advent which is 28Nov. It's a small one with only 30 stalls. Most major Christmas marklets open 22-25Nov.

Edited: 07 October 2010, 16:48
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,910 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Market

Too early for Memmingen. And too early for elsewhere as well.

Memmingen Christmas Market starts on Friday, 26. Nov. 2010. That's the classical start date, i.e. at the first Advent weekend. As marcopolko wrote some start earlier, but the Sunday a week before is "Totensonntag", a day of remembrance of the death, where the markets would have to stay closed, the earliest common start date is thus Monday 22nd November this year.

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
122 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Market

thank you for your quick reply - was on city website -but I don't speak German.

looking at a last minute 2 night break - one full day - and coming here is cheaper than a good break in Scotland.

Looking for somewhere relaxing - nice meal, stroll around town/park?

Do not want to drive.

Does this town have a nice park

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Market

Personally, I would want to stay elsewhere. After an hour you'll have seen everything worth seeing. Memmingen is close to Ulm ( www.ulm.de ) which is much larger and has the cathedral which has the world's highest church spire, climbable if desired.

From Memmingen you can travel inexpensively to anywhere in either the German states of Bavaria or Baden-Wuerttemberg using the appropriate Baden-Wuerttemberg or Bavaria group (2-5 people) day train ticket for 28€ which will cover all public transportation within either state (buses, trams, U-bahns, S-bahns, regional trains) except the fast long-distance IC, EC or ICE trains. Note that Memmingen is in Bavaria, so a Baden-Wuerttemberg ticket will not cover the buses there, only the regional trains. The same should be true of Ulm which is in Baden-Wuerttemberg, the Bavaria ticket should not cover local transportation there. One other restriction with this ticket, no travel before 9AM on weekdays.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,910 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Market

Memmingen is a really nice town. But it's only a short hop to the larger Ulm and Kempten.

http://www.memmingen.de/92.html

The Green Route goes along the town fortifications through several small parks, e.g. the Zollern Garten.

https://www.memmingen.de/index.php…

The Neue Welt (New World) where the Bavarian State Horticultural Exhibition 2000 took place is the largest park.

de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php…

Nothing wrong with staying in Memmingen from my point of view. It's a good base for the Allgäu region.

http://www.allgaeu.info/

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Market

About 10 km from Memmingen is Ottobeuren Abbey. Reachable by car or bus (17 minutes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottobeuren_Abbey

It quiet stunned me when I first saw it years ago.

Regards, Gary

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
122 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Market

We only really have Friday late afternoon and all day Saturday as flight home would be Sunday at 10.20am - no luggage to check in.

So if I can get 26-28 off work with a cheap flight at 24 (GBP) return from edinburgh - I could experience a small german christmas market and stay at Weisses Ross -

do not want a busy city as prefer a quiet town for a short break with hubbie

Do you know how much a taxi would cost from airport to hotel (cheeky I know)

thanks

Edited: 07 October 2010, 18:39
Wurzburg, Germany
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Market

it should cost about 10 €, so it's not a big deal.

9. Re: Christmas Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2011, 06:22