We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

Hi All,

I along with my mother (64 years old) and wife will be arriving at Brive Airport on Saturday - 14th July 2018, by Ryan Air at 10.30 am. I was planning to take a taxi/cab to Brive downtown, to pick up an car rental (automatic transmission car) from Enterprise which I had booked early Jun'18, as I needed an automatic car.

They just got back to me today 6th July'18, stating that they cannot provide me an automatic car, as they don't have one. Now I need to replan my trip just as a contingency, if I cannot get a rental car.

I also realised that 14th July, is St. Bastille's day, so not sure if there will be any public transport available from the airport.

I also need advise on which places should I visit , as I will be there until 18th July, when I will leave for Bordeaux - By train or bus from Brive Train station.

Can someone guide me, on places to visit - with and without car - i.e. using public transport. I was initially planning to spend a couple of days in Sarlat/Beynac area and a couple of days near Perigruex/Saint Leon Sur Vezere area.

On 18th July'18 , I planned to catch a train/bus to Bordeaux , and spend a couple of days there, visiting St. Emillion for a day. We then fly back from Bordeaux to London Stanstead on Saturday 21st Jul'18 at 4 pm.

Can someone advise, what are the possible options - places we can visit without car rental, using public transport.

And if we manage to get a car, what are the suggestions, best way to spend the 4 days in Dordogne area.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain
London
London
England, UK
Dordogne
Dordogne
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Lascaux IV and The Art of the Caves...
10 Reviews
from US$165.80*
Free Cancellation
Half day Tour of The Villages of the...
3 Reviews
from US$65.10*
Free Cancellation
EXPERIENCES CANOE DORDOGNE
4 Reviews
from US$21.30*
Free Cancellation
10 replies to this topic
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

Public transportation like trains can take you only so far in the small town area of central France. Busses might be necessary for you to reach the places you enumerated beyond Brive. Much the same I believe for dealing with the distances to get to St. Emilion from Bordeaux. Larger towns like Figeac, Aurillac and Tulle have train stations. So does Cahors. Beynac and Sarlat or Saint Leon do not have this luxury for travelers. Perigueux might have one. Connections with St. Emilion might be possible but I am not sure. Dordogne areas that you describe are small-town places located in rural departments = Lot, La Correze or Creuse. Group tours might be an answer for you for getting to certain places. Group tours have many disadvantages. Check the websites for the places listed to get the information you are searching for. Tourist offices. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Saint-Emilion
Saint-Emilion
Gironde, France
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Figeac
Figeac
Lot, France
Aurillac
Aurillac
Cantal, France
Cahors
Cahors
Lot, France
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain
Perigueux
Perigueux
Dordogne, France
Dordogne
Dordogne
Lot
Lot
Occitanie, France
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

I’d find a friend with a stick shift car and learn to drive it before you go! You will really want a car in the Dordogne. We have rented stick shift vehicles several times, and after 5-10 minutes driving slowly and carefully while getting to know the car we were fine. We stayed in Beynac and loved the area for exploring several caves and small towns.

Edited: 07 July 2018, 04:12
Mentioned in this post
Dordogne
Dordogne
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,472 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

There are other car rental companies in the Brive area. See if you can find an automatic car from them.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,924 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

Did you try phoning AutoEurope? I believe there is a UK number. We rented cars at Brive train station and returned at Brive airport several times, but never with Enterprise. I believe it was Europcar and Hertz. Just do not plan on a car pick up or drop off on a Sunday. The small airport is locked up tight on Sundays and the rental car companies by the train station are closed and there is no key box.

As far as what to do and what to see, get a Michelin Green Guide for the Dordogne. There are also wonderful driving itineraries included.

Mentioned in this post
Dordogne
Dordogne
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

This is trip will be all but impossible without a car. Is the fact of needing an automatic car a problem of driving licence or laziness? If the former you need to find another rental firm. If the latter I don't have much sympathy (even if I normally drive an automatic myself). 14 July is a public holiday called "La Fête Nationale", which commemorates the storming of the Bastille prison during the French revolution in 1789. Therefore just about every car rental firm will be closed. It has nothing to do with a saint.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

There is no public transport to or from Brive Airport.

To get to Sarlat without a rental car you would need to take a taxi. Since it's 14 July it would be advisable to prebook, and be prepared for it to cost a lot on that day. From Sarlat you could then take day tours by coach or minibus to visit various places in the Dordogne. The Sarlat tourist office website gives info on such tours.

Since all this would cost a lot of money you could consider just abandoning the plan to fly with Ryanair to Brive, and pay for new tickets to fly out instead to Bordeaux (or maybe Toulouse) and rent a car there. Automatic cars are much more likely to be available at these larger airports.

Edited: 07 July 2018, 08:20
Mentioned in this post
Dordogne
Dordogne
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Toulouse
Toulouse
Haute-Garonne, France
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
55,270 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

To add to the accurate advice above Sarlat has a grand total of five or six buses each weekday day to anywhere, most bus service does not operate at all at weekends and most certainly not on the 14th July.

There is no bus service between Brive and Bordeaux and few trains. On 18th July, which is a Wednesday, 06.34, 10.10, 12.45, 17.39 if I am reading things right.

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses.

Celestina, would you know how I can pre book a cab? Is there a number available?

Tradeform, I have never driven a stick shift, so automatic is the only option I have to go with. There are the car rental agencies open on Bastille's day, but unfortunately none have a automatic car from Airport. Enterprise did have one , at least online which I had booked, but they just came back yesterday stating they won't be able to help.

Anna, Will try calling AutoEurope.

Is there any site which may help in rebooking a cab/uber from Airport to Brive train station. else the only option as Celestina had mentioned, would be to fly to some other Airport, Toulouse or Bordeaux.

Thanks Again

Mentioned in this post
Toulouse
Toulouse
Haute-Garonne, France
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
England, United...
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

Rahmai, If you google ' réserver taxi Brive aéroport ' you will get several results for taxis that operate in the area.

You could also check if the Sarlat or Brive tourist offices have any recommended taxi firms.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport

If you are able to drive an automatic it takes no more than 10 minutes to learn to drive a manual.

Reply to: Travel to Sarlat & Dordogne villages using public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sarlat-la-Caneda