We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

base in umbria or tuscany

Kingscliff...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
base in umbria or tuscany

We are going to have 6 days at the beginning of November when we would like to stay in a central town and take train trips to surrounding towns. We will be spending the previous 4 weeks at language schools in Cammerino and Belaforte all'Isauro.

We have been to Italy a few times before visiting Venice, Florence,Rome.

I've been looking at staying in Siena, Assisi or Spoleto as a base catching trains from there. I've spent a lot of time reading the forums which have been very helpful but I'd like advice on which town has the best train services and also some recommendations on accommodation please.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: base in umbria or tuscany

I'd strongly suggest you reconsider going to the Italian language school in Bellaforte. It has been a few years ago - but our class was absolutely terrible!

Campania
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: base in umbria or tuscany

Based in Umbria. Trevi near spoleto is a hidden gem. The charming hotel antica dimora alla rocca could be a good choice. www.hotelallarocca.it

It is a good four star hotel at cheap price. Good trip to italy

Kingscliff...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: base in umbria or tuscany

Thanks for the advice but we are locked in to Belforte as a group - I hope it has improved since you were there. We'll have to hope for the best

Edited: 20 June 2010, 07:50
Kingscliff...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: base in umbria or tuscany

Thanks for suggesting Trevi as a base to explore by train. I looked it up on the web and it looks good. The hotel Alla Rocca looks good as well. Will it be easy to walk to the train station from the hotel? Is there a bus station nearby? We don't want to drive if we can avoid it - being on the other side of the road!

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: base in umbria or tuscany

Before deciding what's a good base to explore Umbria by train I reccomend to check the train schedule at www.trenitalia.it

Then you might want to check the bus lines e.g. sulga.it (their site is temporarily unavailable though).

Trevi is not a train hub and you might need to spend hours changing trains and buses if you need to go to a specific destination.

We live in Assisi (same train line as Trevi) and if you want to got to e.g. Orvieto by train it will take a ridiculous 2 and 1/2 hours. As long as going to Rome which is twice as far.

Kingscliff...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: base in umbria or tuscany

Thanks Madonnadelphia

Can you give me better suggestions for a base?

If we stay in Trevi are we able to hire a car there?. We are Aussies but we could drive on the opposite side of the road if there was not much traffic.

I am keen on Trevi as it looks so lovely and so does the hotel.

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: base in umbria or tuscany

Rent a car. You should have no problem driving on the right hand side with little traffic in Nov. FWIW the car will get you more freedom for an enhanced visit to Umbria.

8. Re: base in umbria or tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 06:17