We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Pick up on a Saturday afternoon

sydney
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Pick up on a Saturday afternoon

Is it possible to find a car rental company open on a Saturday afternoon for a pick up? I was hoping for Orvieto but havent found one, or in Chuisi or Siena.

We have the compulsory Sat to Sat rental in July on the Amalfi Coast and then we plan to train it to Tuscany/Umbria and pick up a hire car. We will not be able to get up there till about 2pm. Planning to stay somewhere around Siena/San Gim area so thought we would pick a car up somewhere north of Rome and drive the last part to our accommodation.

We havent driven in Italy before so are wanting a gentle initiation!

Mentioned in this post
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Locanda Rosati
Locanda Rosati
#1 of 30 hotels in Orvieto
Misia Country Resort
Misia Country Resort
#2 of 30 hotels in Orvieto
Hotel Duomo
Hotel Duomo
#7 of 30 hotels in Orvieto
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,257 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Pick up on a Saturday afternoon

I would suggest you will have to pick up in Sorrento on the Saturday morning. It is not difficult to drive from Sorrento to the autostrada, and from there it is motorway driving all the way to Tuscany.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
sydney
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Pick up on a Saturday afternoon

How long would it take to drive from Sorrento to Tuscany and as a first time driving experience in Italy would it be very daunting on the Autostrada? Could you drive some of the early part on roads less daunting? Any suggestions of that breakup. We drove in France 2 years ago but avoided the toll roads so I think that means we still havent experienced the really fast roads. We are 50 ish couple with teenagers though we must sound like a couple of old biddies!!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Autostrada
Autostrada
1 Review
Florence, Italy
France
France
Europe
Victoria, BC, CDA
Level Contributor
156 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Pick up on a Saturday afternoon

A similar question. I'm thinking of staying one night in Orvieto renting a car the next day then driving to our accommodation in Tuscany. I may even get rent the car at FCO and drive to Orvieto for the one night. Orvieto looks nice, an easy entry to our 3 week holiday in Tuscany. Does this sound like a good plan?

Mentioned in this post
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
4. Re: Car Rental Pick up on a Saturday afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 05:15