We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

fort myers
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

Anyone take the train from Orvieto to Florence for the day? Both options have their advantages and disadvantages. Thank you in advance for any input.

13 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,798 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

Lots of people do it all the time. I'm sure you know you cannot drive into the city so you would need to find parking. You will have the benefit of being able to stop at other small towns but you run the risk of fines for driving where you're not allowed or for speeding. Taking the train is cheap and easy though more restrictive.

Donna

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,496 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

www.trenitalia.com Orvieto to Firenze S.M. Novella takes about 2h15m. From S.M. Novella it's about a 10 minute walk to the Duomo.

www.aviewoncities.com/maps/florence.htm

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
548 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

With only a day to spend in Florence, a car will be more of a nuisance than a help. The train is efficient and everything that you'll probably want to see is well within walking distance. To maximize your time there: leave as early as you can; definitely do some research so that you can "plan" your itinerary, and consider making advance reservations for any museums (ie. the Uffizi Gallery) so that you can avoid waiting in line. Visiting the Duomo is a given, but I also highly recommend Santa Maria della Croce and its opera (museum) - and - a great nearby restaurant: Osteria de Benci on Borgo Santa Croce 31r for a "feast" of pate, "drunken" spaghetti and Chiannina beef. You can sleep it off on the train ride home!!!!

Edited: 10 July 2018, 19:45
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

I would go by train, not by car but it is a personal preference of course.

For a daytrip I would not go to the Uffizi unless you are really art lovers. But if you want to go, yes make reservations in advance otherwise you will stand in line for a very long time.

With one day, explore the center on foot and then either walk up or take a bus to Piazza Michelangelo to admire Florence from above. In the Florence forum I think there are nice one day iteneraries.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,840 posts
732 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

I agree that train is basically better and that hiring a car might be a nuisance more than a benefit. You'd have rather short time to spend in Florence, so no use "wasting" it going by car and/or stopping here and there.

"For a daytrip I would not go to the Uffizi unless you are really art lovers"

I tend to agree but I would say: I wouldn't go to the Uffizi unless you have some specific interests in THIS museum. If your interest is generally "art", you'll find in Florence countless alternatives, easier, cheaper and more practical to visit.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

That is what I meant to say Aristofane. You explain it so much better than me.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
548 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

The Uffizi was only given as an example of one of several museums that tend to have long lines; the point is to do one's "homework" if time is limited. I don't assume "love of art", but usually if someone is going to Florence for one day and they've never been before, I do assume that there'll be special things that they'd like to see.

fort myers
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

How kind of all to give me some great direction. After discussion with my group, we have decided to drive to the Hilton Florence by the airport, catch a cab and enjoy the entire day in Florence. After a long day we will simply spend the night and then drive back to Orvieto. Thanks again for your suggestions!

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

It's assumed the OP already has a car.

fort myers
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?

Yes, picking up rental from Rome.

Reply to: Drive or take the train to Florence just for the day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted