We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

San Diego...
8 posts
Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

We'll be spending a day in the region in April and already have lunch reservations at a winery.

We'd like to visit one town in the morning, before lunch..

And then visit the other town after lunch (for dinner). What do you suggest:

Montalcino in the AM, Montepulciano in the PM... or vice versa?

Thanks!

23 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,007 posts
7 reviews
21. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

"One thing to realize is that after shops and other attractions close (around 5)"

Sorry but that's absolutely not the case. All shops are open until 7 / 7.30 including grocery stores, some (tho' not those aimed at tourists) having closed for a break in the afternoon. Certain attractions (I'm thinking maybe the battlements of the fortress at Montalcino, the tower of the town hall in Montepulciano) may close around 5 but to suggest there's nothing to do between then and dinner is most inaccurate, it's one of the busiest times of the day as local people especially come out to shop, meet, have a drink, passeggiata, etc.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
566 reviews
22. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

So, why don't you stay overnight in Montepulciano? I am sure you could find an inexpensive small inn for a one night stay, so you could enjoy a fantastic dinner, with wine, and a stroll. Write the cost of the room off as a loss. We very often do this in France when we rent a house for a week or two weeks, but want to travel somewhere two hours or more each way.

Btw, I love Ristorante La Grotta in Montepulciano. My friend lastraniera is not terribly fond of it ;) but I have the best memories of the food, wine, our host/owner David and his family, and our three dinners there.

uni, I cannot believe that you are still hotel shopping! Montorio is very-very nice. I believe there are three or four individual apartments. I know that all are impeccably maintained. There is a lovely view! Do not know about air conditioning. It is a little uphill at the foot of Montepulciano and is owned by very gracious and charming Stefania. E-mail her. She speaks perfect English.

Edited: 14 February 2018, 05:40
Central, Indiana
Level Contributor
393 posts
3 reviews
23. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

My bad. My experience with Tuscan and Umbrian hill towns that many shops close between 5 and 6. If I was wrong about that as it relates to Montepulciano, I apologize, but I do think how a person fills time as a visitor (especially a visitor who wants to fit in as much as possible during a trip) and how one fills their time as a resident in any given place is somewhat different. I have, as a tourist mind you, found that time of evening a bit of a challenge. I don't necessarily want to drink and assuming I arrived mid afternoon, I've often already walked around and visited available shops. And as you noted, actual tourist attractions often are, in fact, closed by then. I enjoy seeing the locals out for their evening walk, but in April, you can't necessarily count on weather conducive to a stroll.

Reply to: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Montepulciano