We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

San Diego...
8 posts
Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

We'll be spending a day in the region in April and already have lunch reservations at a winery.

We'd like to visit one town in the morning, before lunch..

And then visit the other town after lunch (for dinner). What do you suggest:

Montalcino in the AM, Montepulciano in the PM... or vice versa?

Thanks!

23 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

Where are you staying? That would be the deciding factor for me as it's easier if you don't have so far to drive home after dinner, especially if you are unfamiliar with driving on windy, unlit country roads at night. Also, best not to drive after a couple of glasses of wine. Both towns see some activity in the evening, though outside the holiday period (first and last weeks April) both are fairly quiet after 8 ish.

San Diego...
8 posts
2. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

We are staying in Impruenta. It's going to be a long day, I know but we really want to see as much as we can!! :)

CA
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

Where is the winery?

Eagle River, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

Although you admit it’s a long day, I think it’s too long a day from where you are staying. From Impruenta to Montalcino is a 2 hour drive each way on a good day. What time were you thinking of eating dinner. I would hate to have a lovely dinner then face a long drive back home in the dark.

Central, Indiana
Level Contributor
414 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

I’m not sure I understand why you’re traveling so far afield with the one day you say you have in the region. If you want to see both of those particular towns, why stay in Impruneta?

But in any event, I personally would not want to have that kind of a drive after dinner.

Edited: 10 February 2018, 22:02
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
800 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

Which is better at night? Do you mean after dinner? Restaurants don't open until 7:30 so realistically the soonest you would be done would be 8:30. Do you want to meander about the town then and afterwards drive back 2 hrs. to you lodging? Shops will be closed. Not sure what you are trying to plan here. More details please.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

I agree with the others that this is probably too long of a day. I see on the map Impruenta is very close to Florence.

If you are ok with a long day out and determined to see both, I would recommend going to Montalcino first since the drive is beautiful and you’ll want to see it in day light. You could head over towards Montepulciano - more beautiful driving. Montepulciano is closer (not close, just closer) to the highway so if you head back that way it should make for easier driving and at night who cares if it isn’t the most attractive. There are places to eat in both towns so there really isn’t a reason to base your decision on that. If you leave early enough you could probably have lunch in Montalcino, visit Montepulciano but head back and have a not so early dinner near your hotel.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

I very, very occasionally drive home after dinner in Florence, it’s highway most of the way followed by a country lane that I know like the back of my hand but, even so, I absolute hate doing it and the prospect of that drive at the end of an evening almost ruins my night out. I would certainly not enjoy driving from anywhere in the Val d’Orcia back to Impruneta after dinner. You can’t plan to come down here for lunch instead?

Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
9. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

Hi, anyone knows of a good Agriturismo between Montepulciano and Montalcino. Anyone know of Montorio at south end of Montepulciano? My wife needs air conditioning. Having the facility provide dinner will be a plus.

I considered Villa Grazianelle, but thats 20 minutes East of Montepulciano. I rather stay more to the west.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?

https://www.agriturismi.it/it/pienza…

There are not that many. I Googled the subject based on Pienza but the list includes places as far away as Torrita. It's not that common a thing in the country properties, you'll find more in the village hotels.

Edited: 11 February 2018, 11:00
Reply to: Which is better at night: Montepulciano or Montalcino?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted