We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

I will be traveling to Tuscany in early May with my husband, another couple and our two one and a half year olds. We will be spending a few days in Florence, a few near the coast and then ending in the country side. After debating between San Gimignano and Montepulciano I think we have settled on Montepulciano. I am debating whether I want to do a country B and B or agriturismo (preferably on a vineyard) or stay in town. Does anyone have any accommodation recommendations?

We also have a strong interest in great wines, cheeses and foods. Are there any good vineyards we should arrange to visit ahead of time? We plan on renting cars but are open to having a driver bring us around, so that we may all enjoy the wine, but am not very interested in a big group tour unless it’s strongly recommended! We’d just love to take in all the beautiful sights of the country.

Any restaurant recommendations are also greatly appreciated! We like to visit good local places and avoid anything too touristy.

As many other recommendations we can get would be greatly appreciated!!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
35 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
10,828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

Good decision re SG. You'll get plenty of comments. I saved this old thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18789…

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

Thank you! I’m hoping someone can advise whether staying in a country estate right outside Montepulciano vs staying right in the city. We were considering agriturismo nobile but open to other suggestions as well.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,530 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

It really depends upon the experience you are looking for, in the evening in particular. Being out in the countryside is absolutely wonderful, especially when the weather is fine and the surroundings beautiful. But it does mean that you are potentially stuck with eating wherever you are staying unless you don’t mind driving out to dinner in the evening. Staying in the old town is very different indeed in that you can walk out in the evening and have a large number of bars and restaurants on your doorstep. It’s very convenient, very relaxed.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,938 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

Food is rather important to us, and the main reason we travel. Villa Grazianella was the perfect place for us. Although we ate there only once, I wouldn’t mind staying in every night next time. Take a look

I don’t remember the names of the places we visited so I refer you to this...

https:/…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
277 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

Lastraniera is right..where do you want to be at night..out in the country where your dining choices are limited to the area?.. we love staying in town to stroll/shop, eat, enjoy wine and then an after dinner walk/explore in magical hill towns.....at this point, your choices might be limited to what is available rental or agritourismo wise since May is not very far off...either way, you will enjoy this wonderful area...re wine/cheese....lot of good places in montepulciano to sample wines and cheese and for us, we love to visit valdipiatta, avigonesi and Polizano wineries, all easy drives from centro montepulciano and the town of pienza to taste delicious cheeses

Edited: 07 February 2018, 14:55
dallas
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

following. Thanks for all the great info - keep em coming! Also any optional tour that's worth looking into

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

With such small children you may want to consider nearby Pienza. It is lovely and flat and has a long walking path with beautiful views for little ones to burn off energy and a small park with some swings. Montepulciano is on a massive hill. It might not be so nice to be dealing with a stroller on that every day. Just a thought.

Edited: 07 February 2018, 16:57
Mentioned in this post
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

Hi Ziggy, My wife and I are interest in Villa Grazianella. I have read all the reviews from Expedia and Agriturismo.it But that the lady that does the cooking is no longer there. That there is a dinner menu now instead of her cooking and you eat whats offered.

But most of all. I follow Goggle.earth and find the place that everyone say needs GPS. My question to you is. After arriving at the hotel. I don't see any good roads going west to Montepulciano and the other towns. Is it easy to catch a road to go westward?

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,530 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

The estate is situated off a dirt track that runs between the Chiusi - Montepulciano road and the Chiusi - Acquaviva road. It's closer to the latter but only 10 mins or so drive up a fairly good condition dirt track to the Montepulciano road. You won't need GPS, people have been finding their way to properties like this without problem for decades, just follow the very clear instructions and you'll be fine. See below from the website. Also, take a look at pictures of the estate for you can see it clearly from the road.

www.tenutedelcerro.it/en_US/come-raggiungerci

Mentioned in this post
Chiusi
Chiusi
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!

Thank you so much everyone!! We will be staying at villa ciccolini which seems to be a nice mix between a hotel but still the bit of country agriturismo feel.

In terms of eating, we love good food and there seems to be plenty of it in the region! Are there any places we should reserve in advance or should it be relatively easy to do so once there?

What wineries are recommended? I know there’s some tasting cellars right in town but are there any that we should make a trip to?

We plan to explore montepulciano, Montalcino and Pienza for some cheese are there any particular things we should do or see?

Mentioned in this post
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Reply to: Places to stay, wine, cheese, alll the recommendations!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted