We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for 2 more stays in the region

upstate new york
Level Contributor
387 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for 2 more stays in the region

We will be in Italy early May for 2 weeks.

Will rent a car from Rome airport and return there.

I have two nights booked at a wine farm in Orvieto then we will travel to Montepulciano where I have 2 nights reserved at Albergo II Rondo. My plan is to be able to walk up to the city and eat dinner there. My thought is to find another farmstead in the Montepulciano area for 3 more nights. We would like to slow travel (yes have visited the website) and visit Cortona, San Quirico d'Orca, Montalcino, Pienza, and Arezzo.

My budget is up to $120 per night and am debating between LaCasa delle Querce and B&B II Ciliegio Errante. These are in between Montepulciano and Acquaviva. I believe the distance to this small town is easily walkable.

We would then move to San Gimignano area to visit Siena, Volterra, Chianti and one day take the train in/out of florence. I was thinking 4 nights in this area.

This would allow us to drive back to Rome and spend 2 nights.

So to my questions.....is the area between Montepulciano and Acquaviva a good place to base? They have bikes and the area seems quiet enough for biking and hiking yet close by car to amenities and travel to the areas I've mentioned.

Would you recommend a place in the San Gimignano area to stay? Same budget, with a kitchen, a washer would be nice with beautiful views of the countryside. Also, we are new to wine and our palette is requiring sweet wine and white. Perhaps our taste buds will find a sweet red but today sweet white is our favorite. It would be especially nice to have a recommendation of a place that has a nice sweet white offering.

4 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,113 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for 2 more stays in the region

For all the places you want to visit in the Val d'Orcia, e.g., San Quirico, Montalcino, Montepulciano, even Cortona... all you need is one base. You do not need to spend two nights here and three nights there. Just check in once and explore from there, so you do not have to waste time on moving or, worse yet, have luggage in your car as you sightsee.

I am sorry I have no personal recommends, but it is not a bad idea to note your budget in euro. This way more people can help you. So, sounds like your budget is about a 100 euro, a bit less.

Edited: 29 January 2018, 02:29
upstate new york
Level Contributor
387 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for 2 more stays in the region

It was my intent to stay 5 nights in Montepulciano and then stay father north but the accommodations that allow us to walk into the village were only available for 2 nights. I also thought it would be better to not have to do so much back tracking, therefore a separate stay in the San Gimanago (sp?) area. We will be traveling light with just 2 backpacks.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for 2 more stays in the region

Pienza is a very convenient base. We have stayed there twice. This place is just outside the wall and is nice. The town also has laundromat and a dry cleaning.

B&B Camere Andrei

Via Circonvallazione, 7 53026 Pienza P.Iva 00955460522

tel./phone +39 380 5285394

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,915 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for 2 more stays in the region

Pienza makes a great base for what you want to do. Siena is about an hour’s drive and San Gimignano is about an hour and a half drive. The scenery is wonderful.

Reply to: Looking for 2 more stays in the region
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Montepulciano