We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day-Trip from Siena to Montepulciano on a Sunday

Golden, CO
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Day-Trip from Siena to Montepulciano on a Sunday

We would love to take a day-trip from our lodging in Siena to Montepulciano in April, and Sunday makes the most sense given other activities we have scheduled. I would prefer to simply rent a car ---but of course there are no rental agencies open in Siena on Sundays. I saw that there is a timely train service between the 2 cities----but then I discovered from past Forum posts that the Montepulciano train station is some 5 miles form the old town! Those past posts mentioned that a bus runs between the train station and the town, but I cannot locate a website or other information to see if the bus runs on Sundays and what the schedule might be. Could someone please direct me to the bus schedule website? Any other advice on getting from Siena to Montepulciano would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
4 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day-Trip from Siena to Montepulciano on a Sunday

I'm fairly sure buses don't operate on a Sunday. Google Siena Mobilita, I believe that's the bus company name. You can't plan your trip for another day? It's a gorgeous drive and having the car will make the day out so much more enjoyable as you can explore the countryside on route.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
689 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day-Trip from Siena to Montepulciano on a Sunday

@lastraniera: We are planning to drive from Siena to Montepulciano, then on to Monticchiello and Pienza. What specific route do you recommend?

This is currently our planned route:

https://goo.gl/maps/ef3hnrGn9uQ2

Edited: 19 January 2018, 23:06
Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day-Trip from Siena to Montepulciano on a Sunday

Hello, it's a nice enough route, it's quick, it's what I would call the low-stress way to come here as you spend most of the time on the (admittedly very scenic) main road, which I for one find more relaxing than the wiggly woggly country lanes with lots of turns and gear changes but it isn't the nicest way. That would be coming via Taverne d'Arbia, Asciano, San Giovanni d'Asso, Montisi - you'll see it easily enough on a map - when you will be following an old Roman road across an exceptionally beautiful part of the Province of Siena, le Crete. Sensational views all the way. If you overrun on time in Montepulciano, you could go home the way you've earmarked but even then a better way would be to head over Pienza, San Quirico and join the Via Cassia north to Siena via Buonconvento. Joy of going this way is that you will get to drive between Pienza and San Quirico, which is one of the most stunning stretches of road around, especially late afternoon or early summer's evening when the light is so, so special.

Mentioned in this post
Asciano
Asciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Province of Siena
Province of Siena
Tuscany, Italy
Crete
Crete
Greece
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
689 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day-Trip from Siena to Montepulciano on a Sunday

@lastraniera: Thank you very much. That's exactly the kind of advice I am looking for :)

Reply to: Day-Trip from Siena to Montepulciano on a Sunday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Montepulciano