We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pools in May

upstate new york
Level Contributor
387 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pools in May

We will be visiting the region May 4-17. When do owners open their pools for the season?

10 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pools in May

May onward so your right in that time period. If it's important make sure you ask before hand. Also, some places may charge extra if you wish the pool heated early like that.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,627 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pools in May

We stayed at the lovely Sant' Antimo Resort outside of Montepulciano about mid-May 2014 and the pool was not heated. In fact, it was kind of cool and rainy a few days (we stayed a week), so the pool was not inviting. Of course, this May may be different and it is a good idea to e-mail in advance and ask the ownership.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pools in May

Pools may be open in May....you just have to check directly with the hotel. As the others have indicated, heated pools are not typical. Luxury resorts will often heat their pools, but you must inquire. Another option to consider, since you're in southern Tuscany: thermal baths and pools. There are many in the thermal region of southern Tuscany. Do a quick search online, or visit www.discovertuscany.com for where to find thermal baths. These are not swimming pools, but spas. Kids are usually welcome. Each thermal bath has its own rules, so just check with each beforehand so you know what to expect.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pools in May

The VAST majority of pools are not heated....in May....pretty chilly....too cold for me.

upstate new york
Level Contributor
387 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pools in May

Thanks everyone, our choice of accommodations will not be impacted by a beautiful inviting pool that we will not be used during our time of stay.

California
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pools in May

You never know, in May you may just have beautiful warm weather for sitting around the pool. I'm hoping for the same during our May trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pools in May

Sitting around the pool.....maybe.

Using it.....likely not going to happen.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,627 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pools in May

Dat has a great point! Yes, we could have sat around in May, likely do the schnitzel, I.e., stomach/back flip, but the water was freezing.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,965 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pools in May

Agreed, sitting around only. The agri owners I know with pools all open them officially on 15th May but even then subject to the weather. And that's something you can never predict, we had all four seasons in the space of one short morning last week. However, I reckon you would have to be very hardy indeed to want to swim here that early in May.

upstate new york
Level Contributor
387 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pools in May

Thanks everyone- warm water is for me (like bath water) so I will not plan on bringing my suit.

Reply to: Pools in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted