We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

Hi folks - so I will be spending two nights in Montepulciano from 7/13 to 7/15 as part of a longer solo Italy trip, highlighted by a week long cooking school outside Arezzo starting the 15th. I will not have a car, relying simply on public transportation because I don't have the guts to go it alone by car. :)

The reason for the stay in Montepulciano is definitely wine, so I'm trying to decide if it's enough to just focus on the wineries with cellars right in town, or if I should take at least one trip out of town. It looks like Strada del Vino Nobile does fairly reasonable tours outside of the city to two wineries for 3 hours, or should I just book tastings at the many amazing looking places in town? I will be visiting at least 1 winery during my cooking school stay as well, if that makes a difference.....any experiences/insights are appreciated, thanks so much!

Sue.

20 replies to this topic
Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
11. Re: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

I appreciate your input, I eagerly await the day (many many years from now) when I retire from my teaching job and can actually travel at much more pleasurable times of the year than the crazy summer months. Till then I'll just do the best I can - I am working on my Italian, want to at least be able to make my reservation (un tavolo per uno stasera/domani, per favore, is that close?) and order my wine and pasta in the language, I hate those tourists that get annoyed when people don't speak English. Thanks so much, I am getting more excited by the day for my first trip abroad on my own and the trip planning is just part of the fun.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
7 reviews
12. Re: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

Am trying to send you a private message but perhaps you've de-activated that function? BTW, many of us here believe most firmly that the planning process is often as enjoyable an aspect of the vacation as the trip itself!

Edited: 03 November 2017, 07:27
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
322 posts
49 reviews
13. Re: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

Osteria dal borgo has changed a bit ..we had dinner there in May, outside with a prime table and enjoyed the sunset and food...they had a small filet that was cooked and sliced perfectly..just enough for one person as opposed to the bistecca ...it was enjoyed with a bottle of avignonesi nobile ...make reservations if you want an outside table

Edited: 03 November 2017, 13:49
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
7 reviews
14. Re: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

That sounds like a lovely evening.

Level Contributor
44 posts
15. Re: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

SirLarry, that sounds pretty perfect, so I'll get my steak fix but not have to try to eat half of the cow myself, I think I'll go with that then and probably skip Acquachetta, thanks! lastraniera, I sent you a msg then, I didn't realize I had my msg sending abilities turned off, thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
50 reviews
16. Re: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

THat’s sir larry for the report on osteria del borgo. That sounds like a perfect first night in town experience!

Edited: 03 November 2017, 21:52
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
50 reviews
17. Re: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

Susan, you could still go to Aquachetta for lunch on your full day in town for the interesting Experience and atmophere there. They have lots of things on the menu other than the steak. A simple plate of pici aglione is yummy and typical to the area. It is hand rolled pasta tossed with a garlicy tomato based sauce. So simple and yummy. They also havr a daily list of specials handwritten. (Unless of course things have changed so much that they now take orders on IPads or something! But as of last year, no, still handwritten).

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
212 reviews
18. Re: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

Would love to hear how your experience played out.

We are traveling to this area in April....no car. Want to experience wine of the area.

Thank you!

Level Contributor
44 posts
19. Re: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

Unfortunately I can't give you any insights, my trip is not till July, I just am super excited and have to plan early. :) I think I've decided to do some of the in town wineries after arriving and then play it by ear the next day and either take one of the tours or walk to Canneto via the church of San Biagio and more exploring in town. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
7 reviews
20. Re: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?

Paint-by-numbers - a quickie word of warning, as others will confirm, this area can be tricky to explore comfortably without a car as public transport is so limited. Have you worked out how you are going to get to Montepulciano, for instance. Once in the town itself, although there are no producing estates (they are all out in the countryside) many of the major producers have wine shops in the town centre where you can taste and buy. A growing number today are even opening their ancient cellars (some of which date back to the Etruscans (pre Christ)) to tourists. So there's certainly the full wine experience in the town and the tourist office (on Piazza Grande) runs what I am told are very good and quite cost effective tours out into the countryside to visit the vineyards themselves.

Reply to: Wineries - stay in town or travel outside?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted