We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Livigno from UK

Harrow
Level Contributor
134 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Livigno from UK

Hi - just back from another lovely week in Livigno over Feb Half Term - lots of snow & very quiet slopes (not sure why?)

we stayed an extra night at the Hotel Alexander Charme Hotel (super hotel - also pleased with a free upgrade of room & so nice to use the pool & spa after a week chasing the kids down the Giorgio Rocca)

We've always flown but for the second year running we've had a bit of a nightmare journey both there & back

arrived so late after a 10 hour flight delay from Heathrow - had to hire the snow chains as supermarkets shut - needed to use them to get into Livigno on the Saturday night and they were broken - nightmare trying to sort at 1am in the snow on the side of the mountain - but still worth it :)

on the way back to Milan Linate on Sunday afternoon it took about 3 hours from Lecco due to the traffic - leaving us 50 mins to check in - fortunately we seemed more bothered then Alitalia - so made the flight

so wondering if next year we should drive….

I've taken this from Renjac's posting quite a few years ago now - is this the route everyone thinks is the best route

Dover-Calais-Lille,Tournai, Mons, Namur, Luxemburg (fill up with petrol as it the cheapest between UK and Livigno), Strasbourg, pass through Strasbourg to German side, Basle, Zurich, directions towards Chur but depart motorway at Lanquart, Klosters, Verina tunnel (about 40SF), Zernez, Muint la Schera tunnel.

What time for a saturday to saturday apartment stay would you usually leave the UK - and what time would you usually leave Livigno on the saturday to get back to the UK

actually any thoughts on driving at all

Angelax

London
Destination Expert
for Livigno
Level Contributor
616 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Livigno from UK

Hi Angela

We have driven three times now and can offer lots of advice, in fact there were three cars with our group this year...

it is actually not as bad as you think as long as you share driving... can believe we didn't see you there!!

pm me if you wish

HTN

liverpool
Level Contributor
525 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Livigno from UK

maybe just about everyone was in Les deux alpes, nice change but mentally busy on the slopes!!!

Aalz cant believe a 20 hour drive can we as bad as the plane, maybe your just unlucky, surely a safer option is fly to zurich or innsbruck.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Livigno from UK

If you can get an Easyjet or British airways flight to Innsbruck then hire a car from there it would be a good option as the hire cars in Austria are all fitted with winter tyres and have snow chains in the boot and it's only a 3 hour drive at most.

Harrow
Level Contributor
134 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Livigno from UK

thanks all

will look at flights to Innsbruck - think I discounted it last year as they were more expensive

HTN - I've pm you - thanks

Angelax

London
Destination Expert
for Livigno
Level Contributor
616 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Livigno from UK

I think the other point to consider is that if there is a hint of fog, or bad weather, Innsbruck is one of the first airports to close..

worth a though!

HTN

Hampshire
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Livigno from UK

We flew to Zurich this year, Feb half term as well.

1.5 to 2 hour wait at Verina Tunnel both ways.

Back to Milan for next year!

chichester
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Livigno from UK

Hi, I saw your post about driving to Livigno and was wondering what you felt was the best route. We've flown in the past but trying to get all the necessary ski gear and clothes for 2 adults and 2 teenagers on the plane was a pain. However, now I'm not sure we've made the right decision as the driving directions look really complicated. We'll be in a Range Rover with winter tyres.

London
Destination Expert
for Livigno
Level Contributor
616 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Livigno from UK

We have done this trip in a Land Cruiser and a Discovery, both times with winter tyres. Its easy, and like others do the following route: Dover-Calais-Lille,Tournai, Mons, Namur, Luxembourg (for the cheap fuel), Strasbourg, Basle, Zurich, head towards Chur but depart motorway at Lanquart, Klosters, Verina tunnel, Zernez, Muint la Schera tunnel.

I am sure you will be fine!

HTN

chichester
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Livigno from UK

Thank you, that's very helpful. Realistically, how long should it take? We were thinking two days with an overnight stop.

London
Destination Expert
for Livigno
Level Contributor
616 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Livigno from UK

For us its usually 16 hours door to door a travelling from Herts. W have two or thee coffee/food/loo stops and several driver changes. We would rather do it in one hit, as if you leave Friday, and overnight (as we did in a lovely hotel in Strasbourg) you can still end up in a queue at the tunnel when you get there as the tunnel is usually outbound all morning from Livigno.

Get answers to your questions about Livigno
Recent Conversations