We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siciy to Montecassino by train

Chico, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Siciy to Montecassino by train

September of this year (2013) my husband and I are traveling to Italy; flying into Rome to Amalfi Coast and down to Sicily for 11 days. We will be returning to Rome to fly home but are staying one night in Cassino so we can tour the Abbey of Montecassino. Does anyone know the train options from Catania Sicily to our destination of Cassino Italy (between Naples & Rome) I appreciate any information.

Nonnie_5_11

12 replies to this topic
Chico, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
11. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

Thanks Vagabonda-

That all sounds great! We will actually be staying 2 nights in Taormina and pick up a rental car in Catania, drive to Syracuse for one nite and up to Modica, Ragusa area for one nite. Then work our way around southern part of island stopping in Agrigento 2 nites to tour ruins and view at nightime. Then staying in Scopello 3 nites with day trips to Palermo, Segesta, Erice. We will end our Sicily tour by staying in Catania and tour Mt. Etna during the next day. We were spending two nites there but after advice by many (including you) we will board a ferry that nite and travel back up to Naples. We are wondering if it would be better to tour Mt. Etna by a bus tour or keep our rental car to drive up on our own? Do you have a recommendation on that? From what I've been reading, it sounds like the tour to Etna is better from Catania instead of Taormina. I would also like your thoughts on that.

I'll appreciate your ideas as you have so many good ones!

NOnnie_5_11

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,468 posts
12. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

Prego NOnnie_5_11,

Hopefully you will pick up the rental car at Catania's airport, and not IN Catania - Avoid driving IN Catania.

Allocate two nights to Siracusa and only one night to Agrigento - Typically one night suffices in Agrigento and Siracusa has much to see and do. You can always complete your exploration of Agrigento the morning following your overnight.

Park at Palermo's airport from Scopello and take the bus from the airport to Palermo.

The Prestia e Comandè service from the airport to Palermo runs later than other public transport from Palermo to any surrounding town. You could then enjoy a very long day in Palermo, including dinner, which is generally considered late in Sicily by tourist’s standards, just beginning around 20.00. Then take the bus back to the airport, collect your car, and drive onward to your hotel.

End in Catania?? Why?? Why not end in Palermo??

You can take a ferry from Palermo to Naples (also fly) and save time doubling back to Catania. See Eastern Sicily once at the onset of your route.

You can explore Etna from Taormina. Catania is optimal for Etna if via public transport.

tripadvisor.com/…51511257

Really reconsider your departure from Sicily from Catania!

The best -

Vagabonda

Reply to: Siciy to Montecassino by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cassino