We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

We are travelling for the first time to Rome, staying two nights then need to get from Rome to Monte Cassino to stay with family. As we do not speak Italian, we need to know if there Is a direct train, how long does the journey take etc.? Anything you can tell us will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

20 replies to this topic
Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
482 reviews
1. Re: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

Direct trains Rome-Cassino depart from Termini station and take 60-70 minutes. Once at Cassino, Purchase bus tickets in the newsagency to the town. Usually for Monte Cassino is referred to the Abbey.

At Termini station you can purchase the train tickets by the automatic machines.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,867 posts
2. Re: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

The minimum journey time is 88 minutes, and many trains take over two hours.

For times and fares see http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html entering Rome and Cassino, using a date this week as almost all trains are Regional trains without reserved seats, and the fares for these are NA online more than seven days in advance. Buy tickets in Italy, not online.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
482 reviews
3. Re: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

Thank you for the update, I was only 18 minutes far by guess.

Wellington, New...
2 posts
4. Re: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

On the 2nd of October 2013 my wife and I took a day trip from Rome to Cassino where the New Zealand Division fought one of its toughest battles as part of the Allies Italian campaign.

To get to Cassino we took the 7:42 train from Roma terminus train station and the 17:22 back to Rome by booking it on http://www.trenitalia.com . The total cost for my wife and and I was 32.80 return. The tickets were emailed to me as 4 PDF files. I saved these files on my IPad and presented the tickets to the conductor on my iPad - we didn't need a printed copy.

On arriving in Cassino at 9:45 we took a taxi from the station to the abbey; cost 25 Euro. As we found out later a bus leaves from the bus stop for teh abbey at 10am. Cost one Euro. The bus leaves from the bus terminus about 100 meters from the front of the railway station. The extra time we had at the abbey was valuable as the bus leaves the Abbey at 12:40 to bring one back down the hill again. We had enough time with out rushing to see the abbey, a very good museum and the polish cemetery.

There are toilets by the car park. A guide book in English is available from the information office just inside the entrance to the abbey - 3 Euro. Entrance to the museum is 10 Euro. One has to be appropriately dressed: No shorts, no bare shoulders.

To get to the polish cemetery walk back down the road from the abbey and took the first left. It took us 15 minutes to walk each way.

To get to the British cemetery where the New Zealanders are buried take the first main road to the left from the railway station - the bus terminus is in the same road on the right. The cemetery is about 1 km from the railway station. Go past a sign to a battle museum and turn left at the supermarket. There is also a blue sign to the cemetery on the corner. The road will cross a bridge over the railway line and the cemetery is about 100 meters further on.

Wellington, New...
2 posts
5. Re: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

On the 2nd of October 2013 my wife and I took a day trip from Rome to Cassino where the New Zealand Division fought one of its toughest battles as part of the Allies Italian campaign.

To get to Cassino we took the 7:42 train from Roma terminus train station and the 17:22 back to Rome by booking it on http://www.trenitalia.com . The total cost for my wife and and I was 32.80 return. The tickets were emailed to me as 4 PDF files. I saved these files on my IPad and presented the tickets to the conductor on my iPad - we didn't need a printed copy.

On arriving in Cassino at 9:45 we took a taxi from the station to the abbey; cost 25 Euro. As we found out later a bus leaves from the bus stop for teh abbey at 10am. Cost one Euro. The bus leaves from the bus terminus about 100 meters from the front of the railway station. The extra time we had at the abbey was valuable as the bus leaves the Abbey at 12:40 to bring one back down the hill again. We had enough time with out rushing to see the abbey, a very good museum and the polish cemetery.

There are toilets by the car park. A guide book in English is available from the information office just inside the entrance to the abbey - 3 Euro. Entrance to the museum is 10 Euro. One has to be appropriately dressed: No shorts, no bare shoulders.

To get to the polish cemetery walk back down the road from the abbey and took the first left. It took us 15 minutes to walk each way.

To get to the British cemetery where the New Zealanders are buried take the first main road to the left from the railway station - the bus terminus is in the same road on the right. The cemetery is about 1 km from the railway station. Go past a sign to a battle museum and turn left at the supermarket. There is also a blue sign to the cemetery on the corner. The road will cross a bridge over the railway line and the cemetery is about 100 meters further on.

Edited: 20 October 2013, 02:38
BONDURANT
1 post
2 reviews
6. Re: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

Took the trip tp Monte Cassino today. The best bit of advice is to check the "planning your visit" section on the Abbey's website at http://montecassinoabbey.org/

Information about the timing for the bus is a bit cryptic, but I got better information in an e-mail response to my request for information about a private tour.

The bus for the abbey coincides with the 7:42 (arrives 9:37) and 8:00 (arrives 9:45) trains from Rome. It's a regular city bus that shows Monte Cassino on the front. It picks up first in front of the train station, then at the bus stop out on the street. It's supposed leave the bus station at 9:55 but is often 5 or 10 minutes late.

takes 20 to 25 minutes to get up to the abbey (which meshes with the 10:30 opening of the abbey) and the 1 euro fare is for the round trip. We joined an English tour for 4 euros each, which included admission to the museum after the tour was over, so was a lot better deal than 3 euro admission plus 10 euro museum We took the 13:00 bus back to the station which might, on a lucky day, get you to the station in time for the 13:22 train back to Rome. The bus was slowed by a road repair, so we ate lunch near the station and took the 14:22 train back back. Tickets on these regional train are generic, so even though the ticket machines and the trenitalia website have you pick a specific time and date, you can use the ticket on almost any train on the route (except 1 more expensive commuter express) any time for 2 months after the purchase date as long as you validate it in the machine on the platform before boarding.

Milford Michigan USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
83 reviews
7. Re: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

Thank you for all this helpful information! Very complete.

southport
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

how far is the train from the airport to get to cassino and are they regular and is there a certain one you need to get thankyou

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,867 posts
9. Re: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

Which airport?

For trains from Roma Termini use the Trenitlia link in post 4.

If landing at FCO, use Fiumicino Aeroporto as your departure station.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
10. Re: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?

Visiting Monte Cassino from Rome.

There have been several posts about this which are helpful but do not explain everything you need to know

We went on 9th September 2015. Caught the 8am train from The Rome Terminus which got us into Cassino just before 10 and meant we could catch the service bus from the stop on the opposite side of the main road outside the station.

The bus costs 1 euro each way and gets you to the parking area outside the Abbey just before 10.30 when the Abbey opens.

We were told that the return bus would be at 12.40pm. The next one not being until 5pm.

At the car park there are toilets, free but a donation is expected.

As my father fought in the Polish Forces we walked down to the Polish Cemetery about quarter of a mile back down towards the town.

There is now a visitor centre there which we spent time in rather than visiting the war graves as fortunately my father survived the fighting.

We got back to the Abbey in time to have a good walk around, entrance was free, but donations are invited. We did not have time to go to the museum, for which there is a charge of 5 euros

A word of warning, there is no café at the Abbey only some vending machines. It is not really a place to spend a whole day. You either go up for the afternoon or morning as we did returning to the town at around 1pm for lunch and then the train back to Rome.

Tickets for the train can be bought at machines in the Terminus , 16.40 euros return and they are valid for 2 months. You validate them on the day of travel in a machine on the platform before you board the train.

The timetables at the Rome Terminus Station are not that clear, but are available on line.

Also there are slow and fast trains which seem to depart a few minutes apart.

David & Sheila G

Edited: 01 October 2015, 14:10
Reply to: Trains to Monte Cassino from Rome?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cassino