We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and Photography in Winter Need advise on Where to go

2 posts
Save Topic
Hiking and Photography in Winter Need advise on Where to go

I will be staying near Belluno and Zoppe di Cadore. I am a landscape photographer but will be limited to a day and one night(if there are clear skies for astrophotography) I don't have the money or equipment for skiing and my rental car has chains but no snow tires. My questions are:

Where are the best spots from the road to see the Dolomites?

Which roads might be closed?

Are there any favorable but short hikes where I can view the really spectacular peaks? Such as Monte Cristallo, Tre Cime, etc?

Also what cable cars/gondola lifts are open in winter that I can ride back down?

San Lorenzo di...
Destination Expert
for South Tyrol Dolomites
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking and Photography in Winter Need advise on Where to go

Adriana, firstly I should say that I am sure you’ll be alright with your car. Chains will probably be enough, if it snows, while you’re here, simply don’t drive if you don’t feel 100% safe.

When will you be around? Next week or mid April. See, we don’t have that much snow this year, so there is a chance we won’t have much snow in 6 weeks time (this is just an assumption, we’ll have to see what happens). In any case, the major roads will be mostly open, from mid March some are closed in the afternoons for the avalanches.

I guess for your purposes, the best views are from Passo di Gardena, Passo di Fedaia and Passo di Pordoi. There are plenty of oportunities for good views from cable cars, etc. Catch the cable car from Malga Ciapela to Marmolada. Or from Passo di Pordo to Pordoi. Or from Passo di Falzarego to Lagazuoi. There hike to Rif. Lagazuoi (ist just 200m or so) and enyou spectacular views southwards – see streetview on

https://www.google.it/maps/place/Rifugio+Lagazuoi/@46.5277992,12.0080895,3a,75y,229.94h,74.08t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-aZiZhuffuTk%2FVMFr-LGZ4XI%2FAAAAAAAACFo%2FSDCMNcCZ6Os82oRD2AGxrfzb5_9L1PVqgCJkC!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh6.googleusercontent.com%2F-aZiZhuffuTk%2FVMFr-LGZ4XI%2FAAAAAAAACFo%2FSDCMNcCZ6Os82oRD2AGxrfzb5_9L1PVqgCJkC%2Fw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya214.38268-ro0-fo100%2F!7i9000!8i4500!4m5!3m4!1s0x477837b720bf5701:0xade38c18a4e77d23!8m2!3d46.527944!4d12.008085!6m1!1e1?hl=de

As far as Tre Cime is concerned: you MIGHT be able to hike there if snow conditions are favourable and if you have propper gear. The road to Tre Cime is closed during winter and reopens in June/July according to conditions (the area is avalanche-prone, careful). If you hike it in winter I strongly suggest you don’t do it on your own. It’s better to hire a local mountain- or hiking guide who can guide you around, but it’ll take you most of a day!!!! Once you arrive before Tre Cime (you arrive facing the south faces) you need to hike around Tre Cime to see the famous north faces.

There is only one single spot where you can view some sections of Tre Cime from the main road, and that’s here:

https://www.google.it/maps/place/Rifugio+Lagazuoi/@46.6411381,12.2320852,3a,75y,117.17h,86.73t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sXmJcgGhAF1ZgSmAmFbptiQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DXmJcgGhAF1ZgSmAmFbptiQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D89.56229%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x477837b720bf5701:0xade38c18a4e77d23!8m2!3d46.527944!4d12.008085!6m1!1e1?hl=de

Well, the link’s supposed to get you the location (it’s directly in front of BAR TRE CIME), the view you see is the one you get on foggy days, on better days it’s this view:

https://www.google.de/search?q=Bar+Drei+Zinnen+Blick&biw=1470&bih=875&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP-rqo8avSAhWKCywKHR1QAqQQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=Drei+Zinnen+vom+H%C3%B6hlensteintal&*&imgrc=4aIU34Q0-T2JdM:

You get to see Monte Cristallo from the same spot/road as for Tre Cime, just swing your view 90° to the right, there you can see Monte Cristallo behind the clouds. On beautiful days – and a bit further to the south - it looks like this:

https://www.google.de/search?q=Bar+Drei+Zinnen+Blick&biw=1470&bih=875&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP-rqo8avSAhWKCywKHR1QAqQQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=Monte+Cristallo+H%C3%B6hlensteintal&*&imgrc=ce1IEazAExuHJM

The main peak, Monte Cristallo, is the one to the right oft he snowy saddle. Just keep on driving this road in a southerly direction, then you get closer to Monte Cristallo. Check all locations on google streetview!

If you come in winter I think there’s not really a single short hike to the „really spectacular peaks“. Well, Adriana, let me say that in the Dolomites nearly every view is spectacular and breathtking, this was one of the reasons why UNESCO has proclaimed this area World Heritage – google UNESCOS criterion vii „The Dolomites are widely regarded as being among the most attractive mountain landscapes in the world….“. Once there, you get views around every corner, rest assured. Are there „best views“? We all have different perseption of „best“, don’t we? Some like it steep, some jagged, some like the rolling pastures accompanied by steep walls that shoot skywards from the lush pastures, others fancy overhanging rockformations, others narry and high valleys. The Dolomites are much too diverse top in them down to a single appearance . There are so many views, Adriana, so many different views. But be carful: once you’ve seen them for yourself, and taken them in, you might find you’re addicted ;-) .

There are more fantastic views in the Friulian Dolomites, or north of Belluno, but I guess you just won’t get to see them all in a day, the area is simply too big.

See you in the Dolomites, Adriana.

Gerd

2. Re: Hiking and Photography in Winter Need advise on Where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2018, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Belluno