We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

J C
San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

I am a single, older woman who will be spending 3 nights in August in Ballydavid leaving on

a Monday. Shopping, the city, crowded buses do not interest me (Well, maybe Murphy's

ice cream)and don't drink but history, ruins, hiking (up to 7 mi), music and photography do. I would not be comfortable renting a car/driving which I know will be limiting and this is the first time that I have ever done so. Will be dropped off by my son and family (homeward bound) and then take bus to Killarney for the National Park, BusEireann, for 3 nights and then bus to Kenmare. I am comfortable hiking alone but because of injury and safety know I should not.

I would like suggestions for my time: are taxis/shuttles available for pickup and return, small hiking group tours or suggestions on local people available to guide, small tours around esp, Slea Head, etc. Have read extensively on the forum and picked up suggestions but would like the very knowledgeable advice of the forum contributors.

15 replies to this topic
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

Have you accommodation booked. The reason I ask is that the Dingle Peninsula Hotel near Ballydavid has a complimentary shuttle service for guests

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,631 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

That was going to be my suggestion too.

Without a car you are not going to get far from ballydavid. It is a stunning area but without your own transport you will have a hard time going anywhere at all unless you are prepared to hitch a lift.

J C
San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

Was hoping that you both would answer as you have a wealth of info. I have a reservation but will check the hotel. If there is no availability are there taxis to call from the bus station to go into Dingle? Is Uber really a bad word in Ireland? There is a bus that goes to Balleydavid on Mon and Fri. I was going to book a half or whole day tour with either Mossies or Ciuird archaeological and am corresponding with Celtic Nature Walking tours. Not having a car is a whole new experience in and of itself.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,631 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

Do you know Ballydavid at all?

It is a lovely area, but I wouldnt want to be there for a holiday without a car.

Any tours will start in Dingle and you will have no way to get to Dingle.

There is no bus station, there is not even a bus station in Dingle.

There is certainly no Uber.

There are a few private taxis but you would need to know they were available when you wanted to go anywhere.

The only way to do it would be to ask your B and B for ideas.

J C
San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

Fushia thank you for the reply. I obviously don't know as much as I thought. I booked Ballydavid for the beauty and proximity to the Dingle Way also assuming -wrongly-that there could be a prearranged transport. I have emailed the bnb and also the Peninsula Hotel. If all else fails I will take a day and go one way on the trail and the next day go the other way. How can I go wrong? I am in Ireland! This is supposed to be a quiet layover anyway between over 2.5 weeks in England and a week of hiking the Beara penisula. Thank you for all you help and feel free to add anything else.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,631 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

If you are happy to walk one way on the Dingle way and back for one day, and the other direction the other day then go for it. As I said it is a lovely area. There is a pub that does good meals in ballydavid and a post office. that's it . Get OSI map 70 , you will be fine walking alone, I wouldn't go up mount Brandon , but if you have a mobile and let your B and B know what time you should be back that will be ok. You will find the friendliest people you have ever met.

J C
San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

I have had replies from Celtic Nature walks and one other so I can book one of them for one day. Have not heard from the bnb or hotel so still do not know about transport from Balleydavid to Dingle when I'm leaving. If I didn't have my carryon I would walk it. Can you share the name of the pub in Balleydavid? I assume that you pay the bus driver when you get on as there is no bus station? Good to know that I will be fine walking alone and the friendly people.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,631 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

https:/…

here you go, well reviewed on TA.

Baile na Gall is Ballydavid in Irish. It is a mainly Irish speaking region. All signs are in Irish, but dont worry , I have never yet met anyone who cant speak English.

Yes, pay on the bus.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

You would really be better to use Dingle as your base. I'm not aware of any taxi service based inn Ballydavid. You would have to get a taxi to come from Dingle to collect and that would be quite expensive

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,631 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours

Just read in the West Kerry Live that the one and only shop/post office in Ballydavid is closing 'shortly', this will be a real blow to the area as there isnt another shop for several miles.

Reply to: transportation without a car and small group/hiking tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dingle Peninsula